Match List-I (Spectral Series) with List-II (corresponding wave number expressions).
List-I
(Series)
List-II
(Wave number in \(\text{cm}^{–1}\))
A. Balmer series I. \( R\left(\dfrac{1}{1^2}-\dfrac{1}{n^2}\right) \)
B. Lyman series II. \( R\left(\dfrac{1}{4^2}-\dfrac{1}{n^2}\right) \)
C. Brackett series III. \( R\left(\dfrac{1}{5^2}-\dfrac{1}{n^2}\right) \)
D. Pfund series  IV. \( R\left(\dfrac{1}{2^2}-\dfrac{1}{n^2}\right)\)


Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
 
1. A-I, B-IV, C-III, D-II
2. A-II, B-III, C-IV, D-I
3. A-IV, B-I, C-II, D-III
4. A-III, B-II, C-I, D-IV
Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 86%
Level 1: 80%+
NEET - 2024
Hints

The spectral series which corresponds to the electronic transition from the levels \({n}_{2}=5,6,\ldots \) to the level \({n}_{1}=4\mathrm~\) is:
1. Pfund series 2. Brackett series
3. Lyman series 4. Balmer series
Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 81%
Level 1: 80%+
NEET - 2024
Hints

The ionisation potential of the hydrogen atom is \(13.6~\text{eV}.\) The hydrogen atoms in the ground state are excited by monochromatic radiation of photon energy of \(12.1~\text{eV}.\) According to Bohr’s theory, the spectral lines emitted by hydrogen atoms will be:
1. two
2. three
3. four
4. one

Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 72%
Level 2: 60%+
AIPMT - 2006
Hints
Links

advertisementadvertisement

In the diagram shown below, two atomic transitions are shown. If \(\lambda_1= 3000~\mathring{A}\) and \(\lambda_2= 6000~\mathring{A},\) then the value of \(\lambda\) will be:

          
1. \(2000~\mathring{A}\)
2. \(4000~\mathring{A}\)
3. \(4500~\mathring{A}\)
4. \(9000~\mathring{A}\)

Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 75%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints
Links

Some energy levels of a molecule are shown in the figure with their wavelengths of transitions.

Then:


1. \(\lambda_{3}>\lambda_{2},\lambda_{1}=2\lambda_{2}\)
2. \(\lambda_{3}>\lambda_{2},\lambda_{1}=4\lambda_{2}\)
3. \(\lambda_{1}>\lambda_{2},\lambda_{2}=2\lambda_{3}\)
4. \(\lambda_{2}>\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2}=2\lambda_{3}\)
Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 55%
Level 3: 35%-60%
NEET - 2024
Hints

The given diagram indicates the energy levels of a certain atom. When the system moves from the \(2E\) level to \(E\), a photon of wavelength \(\lambda\) is emitted. What is the wavelength of the photon produced during its transition from the \(\frac{4E}{3}\) level to \(E\)?

          
1. \(\frac{\lambda}{3}\)
2. \(\frac{3\lambda}{4}\)
3. \(\frac{4\lambda}{3}\)
4. \(3\lambda\)

Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 63%
Level 2: 60%+
Hints
Links

advertisementadvertisement

A monochromatic radiation of \(\lambda = 975~\mathring{A}\) excites a hydrogen atom in its ground state. The number of spectral lines in the resulting spectrum emitted will be:
1. \(3\)
2. \(2\)
3. \(6\)
4. \(10\)

Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 57%
Level 3: 35%-60%
NEET - 2014
Hints
Links

A hydrogen atom is excited from the ground state to the state of the principal quantum number \(4.\) Then the number of spectral lines observed will be:
1. \(3\)
2. \(6\)
3. \(5\)
4. \(2\)

Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 87%
Level 1: 80%+
Hints
Links

Match List-I with List-II.
List-I
(Spectral Lines of Hydrogen for transitions from)
List-II
(Wavelength (nm))
\(\mathrm{A.}\) \(n_2=3\)  to \(n_1=2\)  \(\mathrm{I.}\) \(410.2\)
\(\mathrm{B.}\) \(n_2=4\)  to \(n_1=2\)  \(\mathrm{II.}\) \(434.1\)
\(\mathrm{C.}\) \(n_2=5\)  to \(n_1=2\)  \(\mathrm{III.}\) \(656.3\)
\(\mathrm{D.}\) \(n_2=6\) to \(n_1=2\)  \(\mathrm{IV.}\) \(486.1\)
 
Choose the correct answer from the options given below:
1. \(\mathrm{A - III, B - IV, C - II, D - I}\)
2. \(\mathrm{A - IV, B - III, C - I, D - II}\)
3. \(\mathrm{A - I, B - II, C - III, D - IV}\)
4. \(\mathrm{A - II, B - I, C - IV, D - III}\)
Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
 63%
Level 2: 60%+
NEET - 2024
Hints

advertisementadvertisement

Given below are two statements:
Statement I: Atoms are electrically neutral as they contain equal number of positive and negative charges.
Statement II: Atoms of each element are stable and emit their characteristic spectrum.
In the light of the above statements, choose the most appropriate answer from the options given below:
1. Both Statement I and Statement II are incorrect.
2. Statement I is correct but Statement II is incorrect.
3. Statement I is incorrect but Statement II is correct.
4. Both Statement I and Statement II are correct.
Subtopic:  Spectral Series |
Level 3: 35%-60%
NEET - 2024
Hints