Not an aid to water absorption is
1. The high surface area of roots
2. High water potential of root hair cells
3. Thin cellulosic walls of root hair zone
4. Low concentration of solutes in the epidermal cells
The presence of free starch in the cell will serve to
1. Increase its water potential
2. Decrease its water potential by virtue of solutes
3. Increase solute potential by virtue of solutes.
4. Decrease its water potential by virtue of matric potential.
The water is free to move between the cells except through the
Continuity of protoplasm in sieve elements is maintained through
1. Cytoplasmic strands
2. P proteins
Which is not an advantage of transpiration.
1. Maintains shape of cells by keeping them turgid
2. Cools down plant surfaces by evaporative cooling
3. Transports minerals.
4. None of the above.
One of the following is not a pre-requisite for transpiration?
1. high Vapour pressure deficit of atmosphere
2. Low atmospheric humidity
3.High soil water potential
4. Sunny weather
A manifestation of root pressure is
4. Negative hydrostatic pressure
What is not a part of symplast?
1. Cell membrane
2. Cell wall
Mass flow seems to be the prominent mode of transport during
1. Translocation of organic solutes within phloem.
2. traslocation of water and minerals in xylem
3. Apolplastic movement of water in plants
4. All of the above
What is not a part of apoplast?
1. Intercellular spaces
2. Cell Walls
3. Sieve tubes