At the time early life first formed on Earth, the atmosphere could best be described as:
3. rich in oxygen
4. low in hydrogen gas
Distantly related organisms with similar traits have experienced:
2. Convergent evolution
3. Divergent evolution
4. Parallel evolution
Disruptive selection favors:
1. Both extreme forms of a trait
2. Intermediate forms of a trait
3. One of the extremes of a trait
4. Environmental differences
Which one of the following would cause the Hardy-Weinberg principle to be inaccurate?
1. The size of the population is very large.
2. Individuals mate with one another at random.
3. Natural selection is present.
4. There is no source of new copies of alleles from outside the population.
Which of the following ideas was developed by Thomas Malthus?
1. Peppered moths living near English industrial cities provide a good example of evolution.
2. The diversity of Galápagos finch species is the result of natural selection.
3. Living things often produce far more offspring than are needed to maintain their numbers.
4. Reproductive isolation is pre-condition for speciation
Theory of spontaneous generation of life was conclusively disproved by:
1. Francesco Redi
2. Oparin and Haldane
3. Louis Pasteur
4. Eldredge and Gould
Which of the following is not a result of convergent evolution?
1. Potato and sweet potato
2. Flippers of penguins and dolphins
3. Eye of octopus and a mammal
4. Thorn and tendril of Bougainvillea
Identify the incorrectly matched pair:
1. Ramapithecus More man like ape like
2. Homo habilis First human like being, the hominid
3. Homo erectus Probably did not eat meat
4. Neanderthal Buried their dead
1. Forelimbs of man, bat and cheetah
2. Heart of bat, man and cheetah
3. Brain of bat, man and cheetah
4. Eye of octopus, bat and man