Water logging or over-watering a plant is dangerous and may kill the plant. Why is this so?
1. Water does not have all the necessary minerals a plant needs to grow.
2. Water neutralizes the pH of the soil.
3. The roots are deprived of oxygen.
4. Water lowers the water potential of the roots.
1. Water is lost from the cytoplasm but not from the vacuole
2. Water is first lost from the cytoplasm and then from the vacuole
3. Water is first lost from the vacuole and then from the cytoplasm
4. Water is lost from the vacuole but not from the cytoplasm
What is the first step in the germination of a seed?
(4) hydrolysis of starch and other food reserves
Which of the following is/are essential for imbibitions to take place?
I. Water potential gradient between the absorbent and the liquid imbibed
II. Affinity between the adsorbent and the liquid
1. Only II
2. Only I
3. Both I and II
Consider the following:
I. A decrease in pressure on cell exerted by the wall
II. An increase in water potential of the surroundings
III. The uptake of solutes by the cell
IV. An increase in the tension on the surrounding solution
Which of these would contribute to the uptake of water by the cell?
1. I, II, III
2. II, III, IV
3. I, II, IV
4. I, III, IV
What is true for both symplast and apoplast movement of water in plants?
1. An equal rate of transport
2. Being down a potential gradient
3. Assistance by cytoplasmic streaming
4.Conduction through interconnected protoplasts
Phenyl mercuric acetate (PMA) results in
1. reduced photosynthesis
2. reduced transpiration
3. reduced respiration
4. killing of plants.
Pressure on a plant cell wall caused osmotic movement of water is called:
1. Osmotic pressure
2. Osmotic potential
3. Turgor pressure
4. Hypertonic pressure
The pericycle, which gives rise to lateral roots, consists of:
1. Epithelial cells
2. Meristematic cells
3. Parenchymal cells
4. Endodermal cells