Identify the incorrect statement:
(1) Biological names are generally in Latin and written in italics. They are Latinised or derived from Latin irrespective of their origin.
(2) The first word in a biological name represents the genus while the second component denotes the specific epithet.
(3) Both the words in a biological name, when handwritten, are separately underlined, or printed in italics to indicate their vernacular origin.
(4) The first word denoting the genus starts with a capital letter while the specific epithet starts with a small letter.
The scientific term for biological classification categories is the:
What is meant by the "species problem"?
(1) The exact definition of species is still controversial.
(2) The exact mechanisms of speciation is not known.
(3) The number of species present is much more than identified species.
(4) The extinction of species is taking place at an alarming rate.
Which of the following taxonomic categories are correctly matched to their standard termination of names with respect to biological classification of plants?
(1) I, II, IV
(2) I, II, III
(3) II, III, IV
(4) I, II, III, IV
Consider the following statements:
I. Higher the taxa, more are the characteristics that members whithin the taxon share.
II. Lower the category, greater is the difficulty of determining the relationship to other taxa at the same level.
Of the two statements:
(1) I is true but II is false
(2) I is false but II is true
(3) Both I and II are true
(4) Both I and II are false
The Indian Botanical Garden and the National Botanical Research Institute are located respectively at:
(1) Pune and Howrah
(2) Howrah and Lucknow
(3) Darjeeling and Lucknow
(4) Shimla and Dehradun
Match each item in Column I with one in Column II and choose your answer from the codes given below:
|I.||Flora||1.||Useful in providing information for identification of names of species found in an area|
|II.||Manuals||2.||Contains the actual account of habitat and distribution of plants of a given area.|
|III.||Monographs||3.||contain information on any one taxon|
As we go lower from kingdom to species, the number of common characters at each taxon:
1. Goes on decreasing
2. Goes on increasing
3. Remains same
4. There is no pattern to this
Which of the following taxonomic categories contains organisms least similar to one another?
Match each item in Column I with one item in Column II regarding taxonomic categories of humans and chose your answer from the codes given below:
Column I Column II
I. Family 1. Primatata
II. Order 2. Hominidae
III. Class 3. Chordata
IV. Phylum 4. Mammalia
I II III IV
1. 1 2 3 4
2. 2 1 4 3
3. 2 1 3 4
4. 1 2 4 3