Sella Turcica is found
1. in bones
2. in joints
3. nearby pituitary
4. nearby thyroid
The source of somatostatin is same as that of
1. thyroxine and calcitonin
2. insulin and glucagon
3. somatotropin and prolactin
4. vasopressin and oxytocin.
Which one of the following four glands is correctly matched with the accompanying description?
1. Thyroid - hyperactivity in young children causes cretinism
2. Thymus - starts undergoing atrophy after puberty
3. Parathyroid - secrets parathormone which promotes movement of calcium ions from blood into bones during calcification
4. Pancreas - Delta cells of the Islets of Langerhans secrete a hormone which stimulates glycolysis in liver
Which of the following match is correct
(a) Oxytocin Milk ejection hormone
(b)Glucagon Decreases blood sugar level
(c) Adrenaline Decreases heart rate
(d) Thyroxine Decreases BMR
Which of the following statements regarding glucagon is false?
(a) It is secreted by -cells of Langerhans.
(b) It acts antagonistically to insulin.
(c) It decreases blood sugar level.
(d) The gland responsible for its secretion is heterocrine gland
A patient of diabetes mellitus excretes glucose in urine even when he is kept in a carbohydrate free diet. It is because:-
1. fats are catabolised in adipose tissues to form glucose
2. amino acids are catabolised in kidney to form glucose
3. amino acids are discharged in blood stream from liver
4. glycogen from muscles is released in blood stream
What is the effect of GnRH produced by hypothalamus?
(a) Stimulates the synthesis and secretion of androgens
(b) Stimulates secretion of milk in mammary glands
(c) Stimulates foetal ejection reflex
(d) Stimulates synthesis of carbohydrates from non-carbohydrates in liver
Match the source gland with its respective hormone and function and select the correct option.
Source gland Hormone Function
1. Anterior pituitary Oxytocin Contraction of uterine muscles
2. Anterior pituitary Vasopressin Induces reabsorption of water in nephron
3. Thymus Thymosin Proliferation of T-lymphocytes
4. -cells of islets Glucagon Uptake of glucose into the cell.
Select the correct statement about hormones and their actions.
(a) Parathyroid hormone increases absorption of the body.
(b) Insulin and glucagon helps to maintain blood sugar levels.
(c) Old aged people have weak immunity due to increased activity of thymus.
(d) Osteoporosis in women occurs due to increased levels of oestrogens.
Gonadotropin releasing hormone is transferred to anterior pituitary by
(a) left coronary artery
(b) hypophyseal portal veins
(c) axons of neurosecretory cells
(d) nuclei of hypothalamus.