Select the correct statement about hormones and their actions.
1. Parathyroid hormone increases absorption of the body.
2. Insulin and glucagon helps to maintain blood sugar levels.
3. Old aged people have weak immunity due to increased activity of thymus.
4. Osteoporosis in women occurs due to increased levels of oestrogens.
Gonadotropin releasing hormone is transferred to anterior pituitary by
1. left coronary artery
2. hypophyseal portal veins
3. axons of neurosecretory cells
4. nuclei of hypothalamus.
Which of the following represents the action of insulin?
1. Increases blood glucose level by stimulating glucagon production.
2. Decreases blood glucose level by forming glycogen.
3. Increases blood glucose level by promoting cellular uptake of glucose.
4. Increases blood glucose level by hydrolysis of glycogen.
Achondroplasia is a disease related with the defect in the formation of
4. none of these
Which one of the following pairs is the matching pair of the part and the hormone it secretes?
1. Anterior pituitary - Thyroxine
2. Alpha cells of pancreas - Glucagon
3. Thyroid - Epinephrine
4. Stomach epithelium - Secretin
In the homeostatic control of blood sugar level, which organs function as modulator and effector respectively?
(1) Liver and islet of Langerhans
(2) Hypothalamus and liver
(3) Hypothalamus and islet of Langerhans
(4) Islet of Langerhans and hypothalamus
The 24 hour (diurnal) rhythm of our body such as the sleep-wake cycle is regulated by the hormone
A gland called ‘Clock of ageing’ that gradually reduces and degenerates in ageing is
In a child of 15 years age, plasma calcium level is diagnosed below optimum level.Which organ is malfunctioning?
1. Thyroid gland
4. Posterior lobe of pituitary
Assertion : Aldosterone increases the volume of blood and other extracellular fluids.
Reason : The secretion of aldosterone is stimulated by a fall in the circulating volume of blood.