A compound A of formula C3H6Cl2 on reaction with alkali can give B of formula C3H6O or C of formula C3H4. B on oxidation gave a compound of the formula C3H6O. C with dilute H2SO4 containing Hg2+ ion gave D of formula C3H6O, which with bromine and NaOH gave the sodium salt of C2H4O2. Then A is :
or CH CH3COCH3 CHBr3 +CH3COONa
Since, B and D are different thus. B is CH3CH2CHO and so A is CH3CH2CHCl2.
Vapour density of an organic compound is 23.0. It contains 52.17% of carbon and 13% of hydrogen. The compound gives iodoform test. The compound is:
(b) dimethyl ether
(a) Molar mass of compound is 46 which is of ethanol. It also gives iodoform test.
A nitrogeneous substance X is treated with HNO2 and the product so formed is further treated with NaOH solution, which produces blue colouration. X can be
(4) In Victor Meyer Test, secondary nitro compounds give blue colour.
Methanol and ethanol can be distinguished by the following:
1. By reaction with metallic sodium
2. By reaction with caustic soda
3. By heating with iodine and washing soda
4. By heating with zinc and inorganic mineral acid
(3) Ethanol can give iodoform reaction while methanol can't give.