Match column I with column II for housefly classification and select the correct option using the codes given below:
|Column I||Column II|
A B C D
(1) 3 1 4 2
(2) 3 2 4 1
(3) 4 3 2 1
(4) 4 2 1 3
Study the four statements (I-IV) given below and select the two correct ones out of them:
I. Definition of biological species was given by Ernst Mayr.
II. Photoperiod does not affect reproduction in plants.
III. Binomial nomenclature system was given by RH Whittaker.
IV. In unicellular organisms, reproduction is synonymous with growth.
The two correct statements are
(1) II and III
(2) III and IV
(3) I and IV
(4) I and II
The living organisms can be unexceptionally distinguished from the non-living things on the basis of their ability for:
(1) responsiveness to touch
(2) interaction with the environment and progressive evolution
(4) growth and movement
Biological organisation starts with
(1) Submicroscopic molecular level
(2) Cellular level
(3) Organismic level
(4) Atomic level
Evolutionary history of an organism is known as :
Which one of the following is not a correct statement?
1. Herbarium houses dried, pressed and preserved plant specimens
2. Botanical gardens have collection of living plants for reference
3. A museum has collection of photographs of plants and animals
4. Key is a taxonomic aid for identification of specimens
Two plants can be conclusively said to belong to the same species if they:
(1) can reproduce freely with each other and form viable seeds
(2) have more than 90 percent similar genes
(3) look similar and possess identical secondary metabolites
(4) have same number of chromosomes
Which one of the following is common to multicellular fungi, filamentous algae and protonema of mosses?
(1) Diplontic life cycle
(2) Members of kingdom-Plantae
(3) Mode of nutrition
(4) Multiplication by fragmentation
The label of a herbarium sheet does not carry information on
1. date of collection
2. name of collector
3. local names
4. height of the plant
Match the items given in Column I with those in Column II and select the correct option given below-
i. It is a place having a collection of preserved plants and animals.
ii. A list that enumerates methodically all the species found in an area with brief description aiding identification.
iii. Is a place where dried and pressed plant specimens mounted on sheets is kept.
iv. A booklet containing a list of characters and their alternates which are helpful in identification of various taxa.
1. a-I b-iv c-iii d-ii
2. a-iii b-ii c-I d-iv
3. a-ii b-iv c-iii d-i
4. a-iii b-iv c-i d-ii