Consider the following statements and pick out the wrong one.
(1) The solubility, thermal stability, and the basic character of the hydroxides of alkaline earth
metals increases from
(2) The dehydration of hydrated chlorides, bromides, bromides and iodides of Ca, Sr and Ba can be
achieved on heating.
(3) The chlorides of both beryllium and aluminium are soluble in organic solvents and are strong
(A) (1) and (2) only
(B) (1) and (3) only
(C) (1), (2) and (3)
(1) The solubility increases down the group because the change in lattice energy is more as compared
to hydration energy. Thermal stability and the basic character both increase down the group as
metallic character increases.
(2) It is a correct statement.
(3) Beryllium and aluminium are diagonally related. Chlorides of both are covalent in nature and
thus are soluble in organic solvents. Chlorides of both are electron deficient and thus act as
strong Lewis acids.