High yielding cattle is a good solution for food enhancement. How does the MOET
technology help to increase the herd size?
Multiple Ovulation Embryo Transfer Technology (MOET) is one such programme for
herd size improvement of cattle.
1. A cow is administered hormones, with FSH like activity, to induce follicular maturation
and super ovulation instead of one egg. They produce 6-8 eggs.
2. The animal is either mated with an elite bull or artificially inseminated.
3. The fertilized eggs at 8-32 cells stages are recovered non-surgically and
transferred to surrogate mothers.
4. The genetic mother is available for another round of super ovulation.
5. This technology has been successfully used to get high meat yielding bulls,
high milk yielding females and to increase herd size in short time in cattle.