How does an electrostatic precipitator work to remove particulate pollutants released from the thermal power plants ? (2 marks)
1. Electrostatic precipitator is a method for removal of particulate matter. About 99% of particulate
pollutants are removed from the exhaust of thermal power plant.
2. It has electrode wire and a stage of collecting plates.
3. The electrode wires are maintained at several thousand volts, which produce a corona that
4. These electrons attached to dust particles give them a net negative charge.
5. The collecting plates are grounded and therefore attract the charged particles.
6. The velocity of air between the plates must be low enough to allow the dust particles to fall.