Carbohydrates are commonly found as starch in plant storage organs. Which of the following five properties of starch (A-E) make it useful as a storage material?
(A) Easily translocated
(B) Chemically non-reactive
(C) Easily digested by animals
(D) Osmotically inactive
(E) Synthesized during photosynthesis
The useful properties are
1. (B) and (C)
2. (B) and (D)
3. (A), (C) and (E)
4. (A) and (E)
The wavelength of light abosorbed by Pr form of phytochrome is :
(1) 640 nm
(2) 680 nm
(3) 720 nm
(4) 620 nm
In photosystem-I, the first electron acceptor is :
(4) an iron-sulphur protein
During photorespiration, the oxygen consuming reaction(s) occur in :
(1) stroma of chloroplasts and mitochondria
(2) stroma of chloroplasts and peroxisomes
(3) grana of chloroplasts and peroxisomes
(4) stroma of chloroplasts
Photorespiration is favoured by
(1) high O2 and low CO2 concentration
(2) low O2 and high CO2 concentration
(3) low light intensity
(4) low temperature.
The C4 plants grow very efficiently in warm climates because they
(1) consume fewer ATP molecules for glucose synthesis
(2) minimize photorepsiratory losses
(3) have more efficient chloroplasts
(3) contain enzymes which are not inactivated at high temperatures.
Following is needed in the ionic form during non-cyclic photophosphorylation but not during cyclic photophosphorylations in higher plants.
Phytochromes play a role in
(1) seed germination
Production of NADPH in a chloroplast takes place during
(1) cyclic photophosphorylation
(2) non-cyclic photophosphorylation
(3) series photophosphorylation
(4) substrate level photophosphorylation.