Identify a character that is not desirable in a cloning vector:
1. an inactive promoter
2. an origin of replication site
3. selectable markers such as genes for antibiotic resistance
4. one or more unique restriction endonuclease sites
A cloning vector has two antibiotic resistance genes- for tetracycline and ampicillin. A foreign DNA was inserted into the tetracycline gene. Non-recombinants would survive on the medium containing :
1. ampicillin but not tetracycline
2. tetracycline but not ampicillin
3. both tetracycline and ampicillin
4. neither tetracycline nor ampicillin
1. Separating the restricted DNA fragments on agarose gel.
2. Staining the separate DNA fragments with ethidium bromide
3. cutting out of the separated band of DNA from the agarose gel and extracting them from the gel piece.
4. constructing rDNA by joining the purified DNA fragments to the cloning vector.
When isolating the pure DNA from a bacterial cell, the cell should not be treated with:
A host cell normally does not take up a foreign DNA until it has been made competent to do so. This is because:
1. DNA is a hydrophilic molecule
2. DNA is a very large molecule
3. there are no receptors for DNA on the cell membrane
4. DNA is an inert molecule
Taq polymerase is used in the polymerase chain reaction because:
(1) It replicates DNA faster than other enzymes
(2) It is the only enzyme that can replicate DNA invitro
(3) It does not require an RNA primer to function
(4) It is thermostable
The first type II restriction endonuclease discovered that could cut dsDNA specific site was:
3. Hind II
4. Hind III
Which statement regarding restriction endonucleases is NOT correct?
1. They recognize a specific base sequence in the DNA.
2. They are produced by bacterial cells as a primitive immune system.
3. They digest DNA by removing nucleotides from a free 3' end.
4. They often generate stick ends.
What limitation of traditional hybridization used for plant and animal breeding has been overcome by
the use of rDNA techniques?
1. High cost
2. Insertion of undesirable genes
3. Complexity of the procedure
4. Antigenicity of the product
Which of the following restriction sites is located within the gene for tetracycline resistance in the plasmid pBR322?