Oxytocin helps in
(2) Lactation but not childbirth
(3) Childbirth but not lactation
(4) Lactation and Childbirth both
Refer NCERT Page 332
Which of the following are not steroid hormones but still do not act through second messenger system, are small, nonpolar and can be taken orally?
2. estrogen and progesterone
3. insulin and glucagon
4. thyroid hormones (T3 and T4)
The iodine in o-position makes the phenolic OH-group more acidic, resulting in a negative charge at physiological pH.
Which of the following glands secretes the hormone melatonin?
1. anterior pituitary gland.
3. pineal gland.
4. suprachiasmatic nucleus of hypothalamus
This is a simple fact. just remember melatonin is a derivative of tryptophan.
Which of the following regulates carbohydrate, protein and lipid metabolism in a manner opposite to that of insulin?
Cortisol increases blood glucose, causes lipolysis and proteolysis and causes decreased uptake of amino acids by body cells. Insulin has opposite effects.
Hypocalcemia may lead to:-
1. Kidney stones
3. Stronger muscle contractions
Read page 312, XI NCERT
Glucocorticoids do not:
1. Stimulate gluconeogenesis
2. Cause lipolysis
3. Cause proteolysis
4. Stimulate cellular uptake and utlization of amino acids
Read page 335, Xl NCert
The development of secondary sexual characters in females is primarily controlled by:
Read page 337, Xl NCERT
Which hormone stimulates exocrine pancreas to secrete water and bicarbonate ions?
4. Gastric inhibitory peptide
Read page 338, Xl NCERT
A hormone that has intracellular receptors would be
Read page 338, Xl NCERT. Aldosterone is a steroid hormone.
A hormone that is antagonist to the parathyroid hormone is secreted from :
2. Adrenal cortex
4. Parathyroid itself
Read page 334, Xl NCERT. The hormone is thyrocalcitonin which is hypocalcemic.