Which one of the following techniques made it possible to genetically engineer living organisms ?
2. Recombinant DNA techniques
3. X-ray diffraction
4. Heavier isotope labeling
The construction of the first recombinant DNA by linking antibiotic resistance gene with a native plasmid of Salmonella typhimurium was done by
(1) Arber and Nathans
(2) Kary Mullis
(3) Herbert Boyer and Stanley Cohen
(4) Smith and Wilcox
The DNA fragments separated on an agarose gel can be visualised after staining with
(1) bromophenol blue
(3) aniline blue
(4) ethidium bromide
Agarose extracted from sea weeds finds use in
1. tissue culture
3. gel electrophoresis
What is the criterion for DNA fragments movement on agarose gel during gel electrophoresis ?
(1) The larger the fragment size, the farther it moves
(2) The smaller the fragment size, the farther it moves
(3) Positively charged fragments move to farther end
(4) Negatively charged fragments do not move
DNA fragments generated by the restriction endonucleases in a chemical reaction can be separated by
(2) polymerase chain reaction
(4) restriction mapping
If any protein-encoding gene is expressed in a heterologous host, it is termed as
1. Recombinant protein
2. Single-cell protein
Consider the following statements:
I. Asexual reproduction preserves genetic information while sexual reproduction permits variations.
II. Traditional hybridization often leads to the inclusion and multiplication of undesirable genes along with the desired genes.
III. rDNA technology allows us to isolate and introduce only one or a set of desirable genes without introducing undesirable genes in the target organism.
Which of the above statements are true?
1. I and II only 2. I and III only
3. II and III only 4. I, II, and III
The enzyme that seals 5’ PO4 and 3’ OH polynucleotide ends while creating a recombinant DNA molecule is
1. Alkaline phosphatase
2. DNA ligase
4. Restriction endonuclease
In a DNA gel the fragment of 2kb and 3kb will be
1. 2kb nearer to cathode while 3kb nearer to anode
2. 2kb closer to wells while 3kb towards the opposite ends
3. 2kb closer to opposite end of gel while 3kb closer to well
4. 2kb away from cathode while 3kb towards anode