The amount of nutrients, such as carbon, nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, etc. present in the soil at any given time, is referred to as the -
1. Nutrient status of soil
2. Standing state
3. Standing crop
4. Mineral state.
In the equation GPP - R = NPP
(1) Environment factor
(2) Respiration losses
(3) Radiant energy
(4) Retardation factor
Which of the following statements is not correct?
1. Pyramid of energy is always upright.
2. Pyramid of numbers in a grassland ecosystem is upright.
3. Pyramid of biomass in sea is generally inverted.
4. Pyramid of biomass in sea is generally upright.
In relation to Gross primary productivity and Net primary productivity of an ecosystem, which one of the following statements is correct?
1. Gross primary productivity is always more than Net primary productivity.
2. Gross primary productivity and Net primary productivity are one and same.
3. There is no relationship between Gross primary productivity and Net primary productivity.
4. Gross primary productivity is always less than net primary productivity.
Match the trophic levels with their correct species examples in the green land ecosystem
1. Fourth trophic level (i) Cow
2. Second trophic level (ii) Vulture
3. First trophic level (iii) Rabbit
4. Third trophic level (iv) Grass
Select the correct option:
(a) (b) (c) (d)
1. (iii) (ii) (i) (iv)
2. (iv) (iii) (ii) (i)
3. (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
4. (ii) (iii) (iv) (i)
Which of the following statements is incorrect?
1. Biomass decreases from first to fourth trophic level
2. Energy content gradually increases from first to fourth trophic level
3. Number of individuals decreases from first trophic level to fourth trophic level
4. Energy content gradually decreases from first to fourth trophic level
Which of the following statements is incorrect regarding the phosphorus cycle?
1. Phosphates are the major form of phosphorus reservoir
2. Phosphorus solubilizing bacteria facilitate the release of phosphorus from organic remains
3. There is the appreciable respiratory release of phosphorus into the atmosphere
4. It is a sedimentary cycle
The rate of decomposition is faster in the ecosystem due to the following factors EXCEPT:-
1. Detritus rich in sugars
2. Warm and moist environment
3. Presence of aerobic soil microbes
4. Detritus richer in lignin and chitin
Which of the following ecological pyramids is generally inverted?
1. Pyramid of biomass in a sea
2. Pyramid of numbers in grassland
3. Pyramid of energy
4. Pyramid of biomass in a forest
1. Inverted pyramid of biomass
2. Pyramid of energy
3. Upright pyramid of numbers
4. Upright pyramid of biomass