Sonalika and Kalyan Sona are varieties of
Which one of the following is not a fungal disease?
1. Rust of wheat
2. Smut of bajra
3. Black rot of crucifers
4. Red rot of sugarcane
In virus-infected plants, the meristematic tissues in both apical and axillary buds are free of virus because
1. the dividing cells are virus resistant
2. meristems have antiviral compounds
3. the cell division of meristems are faster than the rate of viral multiplication
4. viruses cannot multiply within meristem cell(s)
Several South Indian states raise 2-3 crops of rice annually. The agronomic feature that makes this possible is because of
1. shorter rice plant
2. better irrigation facilities
3. early yielding rice variety
4. disease-resistant rice variety
Which one of the following combinations would a sugarcane farmer look for in the sugarcane crop?
1. Thick stem, long internodes, high sugar content and disease resistance
2. Thick stem, high sugar content and profuse flowering
3. Thick stem, short internodes, high sugar content, disease resistance
4. Thick stem, low sugar content and disease resistance
Fungicides and antibiotics are chemicals that
1. enhance yield and disease resistance
2. kill pathogenic fungi and bacteria, respectively
3. kill all pathogenic microbes
4. kill pathogenic bacteria and fungi respectively
Use of certain chemicals and radiation to change the base sequences of genes of crop plants is termed
1. recombinant DNA technology
2. transgenic mechanism
3. mutation breeding
4. gene therapy
The term ‘totipotency’ refers to the capacity of a
1. cell to generate whole plant
2. bud to generate whole plant
3. seed to germinate
4. cell to enlarge in size
Given below are a few statements regarding somatic hybridization. Choose the correct statements.
I. Protoplasts of different cells of the same plant are fused.
II. Protoplasts from cells of different species can be fused.
III. Treatment of cells with cellulase and pectinase is mandatory.
IV. The hybrid protoplast contains characters of only one parental protoplast.
1. I and III
2. I and II
3. I and IV
4. II and III
An explant is
1. dead plant
2. part of the plant
3. part of the plant used in tissue culture
4. part of the plant that expresses a specific gene