In most higher plants, the growing apical bud inhibits the growth of …….. or axillary buds, a phenomenon called………….
1.Lateral, lateral Dominance
2.Lateral, Apical Dominance
3.Apical, Lateral Dominance
4.Apical, Apical Dominance
The phytohormone, which was first isolated from human urine, shows
a. Bolting effect.
b. Apical dominance.
c. Control of xylem differentiation.
d. Promote leaf senescence.
e. Ripening of fruit.
f. Initiation of rooting is stem cuttings.
1. b, c and f
2. a, d and e
3. b, e and f
4. a, b and d
Which of the given hormones is used to produce parthenocarpic or seedless banana and tomatoes?
3. Abscisic acid
Removal of shoot tips is a very useful technique to boost the production of tea- leaves. This is because
1. Gibberellins prevent bolting and are inactivated.
2. Auxins prevent leaf drop at early stages.
3. Effect of auxins is removed and growth of lateral buds is enhanced.
4. Gibberellins delay senescence of leaves.
Find the odd one.
1.Initiate rooting in stem cuttings
2.Promote flowering e.g. Pineapples
3.Prevent fruit and leaf drop at early stages
4.Prevent the abscission of older mature leaves and fruits
For tea plantations, hedge-making, which of the following PGR is used?
It takes very long time for pineapple plants to produce flowers. Which combination of hormones can be applied to artificially induce flowering in pineapple plants throughout the year to increase yield?
1. Cytokinin and Abscisic acid
2. Auxin and Ethylene
3. Gibberellin and Cytokinin
4. Gibberellin and Abscisic acid
In a flowering plant if auxins are not synthesizing, then effects which would most probably be seen in this plant are
i. Dropping of fruits at early stage.
ii. Inhibition in the growth of lateral buds.
iii. Delayed abscission of older mature leaves.
iv. Inhibition of cell division in cambium.
1. i, ii and iv
2. i, iii and iv
3. ii and iv only
4. i and iii only
In the process of apical dominance, lateral buds are unable to grow in the presence of apical bud. This is due to:-
(1) less amount of cytokinins in lateral buds
(2) more amount of cytokinins in lateral buds
(3) less amount of auxin in lateral buds
(4) more amount of auxin in lateral buds
You are given a tissue with its potential for differentiation in an artificial culture. Which of the following pairs of hormones would you add to the medium to secure shoots as well as roots?
1. IAA and gibberellin
2. Auxin and cytokinin
3. Auxin and abscisic acid
4. Gibberellin & abscisic acid