What will be the direction of flow of water when a plant cell is placed in a Hypotonic solution?
1. Water will flow in both directions.
2. Water will flow out of the cell.
3. Water will flow into the cell.
4. No flow of water in any direction.
Which of the following is not a feature of the active transport of solutes in plants?
1. Occurs against the concentration gradient
3. Occurs through membranes
4. Requires ATP
What is the direction of movement of sugars in phloem?
1. Water, minerals salts, some nitrogen and hormones
2. Water only
3. Water and mineral salts only
4. Water, mineral and some organic nitrogen only
Which one of the following is correctly matched?
1. Passive transport of nutrients-ATP
2. Apoplast- Plasmodesmata
3. Potassium- Readily mobilized
4. Bakane of rice seedlings-F Skoog
A column of water within xylem vessels of tall trees does not break under its weight because of
1. Dissolved sugar in water
2. Tensile strength of water
3. Lignification of xylem vessels
4. Positive root pressure
Root pressure develops due to
1. Active absorption
2. Low osmotic potential in Soil
3. Passive absorption
4. Increase in transpiration
The water potential of pure water is:
1. Less than zero
2. More than zero but less than one
3. More than one