Select the correct statement from the following regarding cell membrane.
1. Na+ and K ions move across cell membrane by passive transport
2. Proteins make up 60 to 70% of the cell membrane
3. Lipids are arranged in a bilayer with polar heads towards the inner part
4. Fluid mosaic model of cell membrane was proposed by Singer and Nicolson
Which one of the following is not a constituent of cell membrane ?
The plasma membrane consists mainly of
1. phospholipids embedded in a protein bilayer
2. proteins embedded in a phospholipid bilayer
3. proteins embedded in a polymer of glucose molecules
4. proteins embedded in a carbohydrate bilayer
The ability of proteins to move laterally within the overall bilayer lipid molecules of plasma membrane is measured as its
3. Degree of permeability
According to fluid mosaic model of plasma membrane the quasifluid nature of
1. Protein enables lateral movement of lipids within in the overall bilayer
2. Lipid and protein enable the lateral movement of carbohydrates
3. Lipid enables lateral movement of proteins within the overall bilayer
4. Lipid enables the flip-flop movement of proteins
Neutral solutes directly pass through the lipid bilayer of plasma membrane because
1. Plasma membrane has special carrier for them
2. They are lipid soluble
3. They have specific hydrophilic areas for their passage
4. They consume ATP
The tail of the phospholipid molecule:
1. is hydrophilic and composed of phosphate
2. is hydrophilic and composed of saturated hydrocarbons
3. is hydrophobic and composed of saturated hydrocarbons
4. is hydrophobic and composed of unsaturated hydrocarbons
Which of the following is the largest constituent of the membrane of the
erythrocyte in human beings and is also responsible for performing most of the functions of the membrane?
For the fluid mosaic model of membrane given by Singer and Nicolson, which of the following conditions are not associated?
1. Lipids enable the lateral movement of proteins in the membrane
2. Fluid nature of membrane helps in secretion
3. Lipids can show flip flop movement from one layer of membrane to other
4. The fluidity of membrane is mainly due to oligosaccharides
Which of the following statement is not true for plasma membrane?
1. It is present in both plant and animal cell.
2. Lipid is present as a bilayer in it.
3. Proteins are present, integrated as well as loosely associated, with the lipid bilayer
4. Carbohydrate is never found in it