Grass leaves curl inwards during very dry weather. Select the most appropriate reason from the following :
1. Tyloses in vessels
2. Closure of stomata
3. Flaccidity of bulliform cells
4. Shrinkage of air spaces in spongy mesophyll
Phloem in gymnosperms lacks:
1. Both sieve tubes and companion cells
2. Albuminous cells and sieve cells
3. Sieve tubes only
4. Companion cells only
Which of the statements given below is not true about the formation of Annual Rings in trees?
1. Annual rings are not prominent in trees of temperate regions.
2. Annual rings are a combination of spring wood and autumn wood produced in a year.
3. Differential activity of cambium causes light and dark bands of tissue - early and late wood respectively.
4. Activity of cambium depends upon variation in climate.
In the dicot root, the vascular cambium originates from :
1. Tissue located below the phloem bundles and a portion of pericycle tissue above protoxylem
2. Cortical region
3. Parenchyma between endodermis and pericycle
4. Intrafascicular and interfascicular tissue in a ring
Regeneration of damaged growing grass following grazing is largely due to :
1. Lateral meristem
2. Apical meristem
3. Intercalary meristem
4. Secondary meristem
Identify the incorrect statement.
1. Sapwood is involved in conduction of water and minerals from root to leafs.
2. Sapwood is the innermost secondary xylem and is lighter in colour
3. Due to deposition of tannins, resins, oils etc., heart wood is dark in colour.
4. Heart wood does not conduct water but gives mechanical support.
The transverse section of a plant shows following anatomical features :
a. Large number of scattered vascular bundles surrounded by bundle sheath.
b. Large conspicuous parenchymatous ground tissue.
c. Vascular bundles conjoint and closed.
d. Phloem parenchyma absent.
Identify the category of plant and its part :
1. Monocotyledonous root
2. Dicotyledonous stem
3. Dicotyledonous root
4. Monocotyledonous stem
Large, empty colorless cells of the adaxial epidermis along the veins of grass leaves are
2. Guard cells
3. Bundle sheath cells
4. Bulliform cells
Which of the following statements about cork cambium is incorrect?
1. It forms a secondary cortex on its outside
2. It forms a part of periderm
3. It is responsible for the formation of lenticels
4. It is a couple of layers thick
Match List I with List II
|List - I||List - II|
a) Cells with
(b) Tissue having
all cells similar in
structure and function
(c) Tissue having
(d) Dead cells
with highly thickened
walls and narrow lumen
|(iv) Simple tissue|
Select the correct answer from the options given below.
(a) (b) (c) (d)
1. (i) (ii) (iii) (iv)
2. (iii) (ii) (iv) (i)
3. (ii) (iv) (i) (iii)
4. (iv) (iii) (ii) (i)