Which one of the following belongs to the family Muscidae?
2. House fly
3. Fire fly
Select the correctly written scientific name of Mango which was first described by Carolus Linnaeus :
1. Mangifera Indica
2. Mangifera indica Car. Linn.
3. Mangifera indica Linn.
4. Mangifera indica
The contrasting characteristics generally in a pair used for identification of animals in Taxonomic Key are referred to as :
Which of the following is against the rules of ICBN?
1. Hand written scientific names should be underlined.
2. Every species should have a generic name and a specific epithet.
3. Scientific names are in Latin and should be italized.
4. Generic and specific names should be written starting with small letters.
|Column I||Column II|
|a.||Herbarium||i.||It is a place having a collection of preserved plants and animals.|
|b.||Key||ii.||A list that enumerates methodically all the species found in an area with a brief description aiding identification.|
|c.||Museum||iii.||Is a place where dried and pressed plant specimens mounted on sheets are kept.|
|d.||Catalogue||iv.||A booklet containing a list of characters and their alternates which are helpful in the identification of various taxa.|
The label of a herbarium sheet does not carry information on
1. date of collection
2. name of collector
3. local names
4. height of the plant
|Column I||Column II|
|A. Family||(i). Diptera|
|B. Order||(ii). Arthropoda|
|C. Class||(iii). Muscidae|
|D. Phylum||(iv). Insecta|
1. A-(iii) B-(i) C-(iv) D-(ii)
2. A-(iii) B-(ii) C-(iv) D-(i)
3. A-(iv) B-(iii) C-(ii) D-(i)
4. A-(iv) B-(ii) C-(i) D-(iii)
Study the four statements (I-IV) given below and select the two correct ones out of them :
I. Definition of biological species was given by Ernst Mayr.
II. Photoperiod does not affect reproduction in plants.
III. Binomial nomenclature system was given by RH Whittaker.
IV. In unicellular organisms, reproduction is synonymous with growth.
The two correct statements are:
1. II and I
2. III and IV
3. I and IV
4. I and II
Which one of the following is not a correct statement?
1. Botanical Gardens have collection of living plants for reference.
2. A museum has collection of photographs of plants and animals
3. Key is taxonomic aid for identification of specimens.
4. herbarium houses dried, pressed and preserved plant specimens