Which one of the following statements is true?
1. Both light and sound waves in the air are transverse.
2. The sound waves in the air are longitudinal while the light waves are transverse.
3. Both light and sound waves in the air are longitudinal.
4. Both light and sound waves can travel in a vacuum.
The displacement of a particle is given by , where x is in metres and t is in seconds. The velocity of the wave is:
1. 5000 m/sec
2. 2 m/sec
3. 0.5 m/sec
4. 300 m/sec
If a wave is travelling in a positive X-direction with A = 0.2 m, velocity = 360 m/s and λ = 60 m, then the correct expression for the wave will be:
A wave travelling in the +ve x-direction having maximum displacement along y-direction as 1 m, wavelength and frequency of Hz, is represented by:
The equation y (x,t) = 0 . 005 cos αx - βtA describes a wave traveling along the x-axis. If the wavelength and the time period of the wave are 0.08 m and 2.0 s, respectively, then and in appropriate units are :
The equation of a progressive wave is given by .
Which of the following is correct?
1. v = 5 m / sec
2. λ = 18 m
3. a = 0.04 m
4. n = 50 Hz
If a travelling wave pulse is given by , then:
1. the pulse is travelling along the negative x axis.
2. the speed of the pulse is 4 m/s.
3. the amplitude of the pulse is 5 m.
4. All of these
A transverse wave is represented by y = Asin(ωt -kx). At what value of the wavelength is the wave velocity equal to the maximum particle velocity?
Given the equation for a wave on the string, y = 0.5 sin(5x - 3t) where y and x are in metres and t in seconds, the ratio of the maximum speed of particle to the speed of wave is:
The wave described by y=0.25 sin(10),
where x and y are in metres and t in seconds, is a wave travelling along the
1. -ve x direction with frequency 1 Hz
2. +ve x direction with frequency Hz and wavelength =0.2m
3. + ve x direction with frequency 1 Hz and wavelength
4. - ve x direction with amplitude 0.25 m and wavelength