Scientists take advantage of _______________ in studying translocation by phloem.
What may be regarded as a valid difference between active and passive absorption of water?
1. Passive absorption is affected by the presence of metabolic inhibitors
2. active absorption is accelerated by the presence of auxins
3. Passive absorption is dependent on development of root pressure
4. Active absorption is dependent on aerial parts of plants for the development of a pull force.
What is never zero in a cell-
1. Solute potential
2. Water potential
4. Diffusion pressure
The amount of pressure needed to stop fluid from moving by osmosis into a solution is referred to as the
1. Osmotic pressure
2. water potential
3. pressure potential
4. solute potential
In the absence of transpiration water moves up xylem because of
1. root pressure
2. turgor pressure
4. high soil mineral concentration
High root pressure can cause water to be lost by leaves through the process of
Ringing experiments prove all but
1. Food is translocated through phoem
2. Water is translocated through xylem
3. Leaves are the sinks of phloem transport
4. The phloem tissue can be regenerated if the cambium is intact.
Loss of solutes from a cell leads to
1. Increase in water potential
2. Decrease in solute potential
3. Increase in pressure potential
4. All of the above
Apparently _______________ is the source of energy for keeping stomata open.
3. ion transfer
4. sodium pump
Maintaining turgor pressure in guard cells requires an uptake of