Ascent of sap is mainly attributed to :
1. cohesion force
3. root pressure
Solution concentration is higher in the external solution. The solution is
4. None of the above.
Which of the following statements are true/false?
a. the positive hydrostatic pressure is called turgor pressure.
b. wall pressure exerts to prevent the increase of protoplasm size.
c. diffusion is more rapid in liquids than in gases
d. diffusion of water through a semi-permeable membrane is called imbibition
e. osmosis is movement of substances which takes place along a diffusion gradient.
1. a and b are true & c, d and e are false
2. a and c are true & d, d and e are false
3. a and d are true & b, c and e are false
4. a and e are true & b, c and d are false
Path of water movement from soil to xylem is :
1. soil root hair cortex pericycle endodermis metaxylem protoxylem
2. soil root hair cortex endodermis pericycle protoxylem metaxylem
3. soil root hair epidermis endodermis phloem xylem
4. soil root hair epidodermiscortex phloem xylem
Turgor pressure is also referred to as
1. solute potential
2. water potential
3. pressure potential
4. osmotic potential
The process responsible for the movement of water from roots to all other parts of plants is
1. Evaporation of Water from leaves
2. Capillary action
3. Active transport
4. Both 1 and 2
The combination of pressure potential and solute potential is
1. water potential
2. Osmotic pressure
3. osmotic potential
4. Both b and c
Scientists take advantage of _______________ in studying translocation by phloem.
What may be regarded as a valid difference between active and passive absorption of water?
1. Passive absorption is affected by the presence of metabolic inhibitors
2. active absorption is accelerated by the presence of auxins
3. Passive absorption is dependent on development of root pressure
4. Active absorption is dependent on aerial parts of plants for the development of a pull force.
What is never zero in a cell-
1. Solute potential
2. Water potential
4. Diffusion pressure