Companion cells in plants are associated with
(3) sieve elements
(4) guard cells.
Cork cambium results in the formation of cork which becomes impermeable to water due to the accumulation of
Which one of the following statements pertaining to plant structure is correct?
(1) Cork lacks stomata, but lenticels carry out transpiration.
(2) Passage cells help in transfer of food from cortex to phloem.
(3) Sieve tube elements possess cytoplasm but no nuclei.
(4) The shoot apical meristem has a quiescent centre.
Grafting is successful in dicots but not in monocots because the dicots have
(1) Vascular bundles arranged in a ring
(2) Cambium for secondary growth
(3) Vessels with elements arranged end to end
(4) Cork cambium
In the sieve elements, which one of the following is the most likely function of P-proteins?
(1) Deposition of callose on sieve plates
(2) Providing energy for active translocation
(3) Autolytic enzymes
(4) Sealing mechanism on wounding
Bark refers to
(1) Phellem + Phellogen + Phelloderm
(2) Periderm + Cortex
(3) Phellem + Phelloderm + Secondary phloem
(4) Periderm + Cortex + Pericycle + Secondary phloem
The branched sclereids present in hydrophytes are:-
Why are vascular bundles closed in monocots?
(1) Xylem and Phloem are present
(2) Xylem and phloem occur in separate bundles
(3) Vascular cambium is present between xylem and phloem
(4) Vascular cambium is not present
Given figure shows:-
(a) structure of lenticel
(b) hydathode showing gaseous vapour exchange
(c) fungus reproducing by spore formation
(d) algae reproducing by spore formation
Select the correct pair amongst the following.
(1) Spring wood - light colour, high density
(2) Spring wood - dark colour, low density
(3) Autumn wood - light colour, high density
(4) Autumn wood - dark colour, high density