The primary role of oxygen in cellular respiration is to:
1. yield energy in the form of ATP as it is passed down the respiratory chain.
2. act as an acceptor for electrons and hydrogen, forming water
3. combine with carbon, forming CO2.
4. combine with lactate, forming pyruvate.
Which of the following processes makes direct use of oxygen?
3. Kreb's citric acid cycle
4. Electron transport
Which statement is wrong for Krebs' cycle?
1. There are three points in the cycle where NAD+ is reduced to NADH + H+
2. There is one point in the cycle where FAD+ is reduced to FADH2
3. During conversion of succinyl Co-A to succinic acid, a molecule of GTP is synthesised
4. The cycle starts with condensation of acetyl group (acetyl Co-A) with pyruvic acid to yield citric acid
Oxidative phosphorylation is
(1) formation of ATP by transfer of phosphate group from a substrate to ADP
(2) oxidation of phosphate group in ATP
(c) addition of phosphate group to ATP
(4) formation of ATP by energy release from electrons removed during substrate oxidation.
In which one of the following processes CO2 is not released?
1. Aerobic respiration in plants
2. Aerobic respiration in animals
3. Alcoholic fermentation
4. Lactate fermentation
The three boxes in this diagram represent the three major biosynthetic pathways in
aerobic respiration. Arrow represent net reactants or products
Arrows numbered 4, 8, 12 can all be
4. FAD+ or FADH2
The energy-releasing metabolic process in which substrate is oxidised without an external electron acceptor is called
3. aerobic respiration
Aerobic respiratory pathway is appropriately termed
Which one of the following mammalian cells is not capable of metabolising glucose to
1. White blood cells
2. Unstriated muscle cells
3. Liver cells
4. Red blood cells
All enzymes of TCA cycle are located in the mitochondrial matrix except one which is
located in inner mitochondrial membranes in eukaryotes and in cytosol in prokaryotes.
This enzyme is
1. lactate dehydrogenase
2. isocitrate dehydrogenase
3. malate dehydrogenase
4. succinate dehydrogenase