When isolating the pure DNA from a bacterial cell, the cell should not be treated with:
A host cell normally does not take up a foreign DNA until it has been made competent to do so. This is because:
1. DNA is a hydrophilic molecule
2. DNA is a very large molecule
3. there are no receptors for DNA on the cell membrane
4. DNA is an inert molecule
Taq polymerase is used in the polymerase chain reaction because:
(1) It replicates DNA faster than other enzymes
(2) It is the only enzyme that can replicate DNA invitro
(3) It does not require an RNA primer to function
(4) It is thermostable
The first type II restriction endonuclease discovered that could cut dsDNA specific site was:
3. Hind II
4. Hind III
Which statement regarding restriction endonucleases is NOT correct?
1. They recognize a specific base sequence in the DNA.
2. They are produced by bacterial cells as a primitive immune system.
3. They digest DNA by removing nucleotides from a free 3' end.
4. They often generate stick ends.
What limitation of traditional hybridization used for plant and animal breeding has been overcome by
the use of rDNA techniques?
1. High cost
2. Insertion of undesirable genes
3. Complexity of the procedure
4. Antigenicity of the product
Which of the following restriction sites is located within the gene for tetracycline resistance in the plasmid pBR322?
The technique not used for transformation of plant cells in recombinant procedures is:
2. Agrobacterium mediation
3. Use of viruses
In the screening process during rDNA experiments, clones that metabolize -gal turn:
Microinjection is suitable for :
1. Injecting an ovum into the sperm in IVF
2. Transforming animal cells
3. Injecting very small sized drug particles into neurons
4. Conferring antibiotic resistance to a certain strain of bacteria