If the female parent produces unisexual flower:
(1) Emasculation must be done before maturity
(2) Emasculation must be done after maturity
(3) Emasculation must be done before pollination
(4) Emasculation is not needed
The central cell in the embryo sac, after triple fusion, becomes:
(1) Primary endosperm cell
The endosperm is completely consumed by the developing embryo in all of the following except:
Epicotyl has a shoot apex and a few leaf primordial enclosed in a hollow foliar structure called as the:
The micropyle remains as a small pore in the seed coat. During germination, this facilitates entry of:
(1) Only I
(2) Only II
(3) Both I and II
(4) Neither I nor II
Why do seeds need water to germinate?
(1) Following hydration, enzymes break down stored food and make it available for the embryo.
(2) Water provides energy.
(3) Water activates the chlorophyll molecules so that photosynthesis can begin.
(4) Water dissolves the minerals in the soil so that they become available to the seed.
Genetic self-incompatibility tends to increase
(1) pollen dispersal
If a flower is to be pollinated by moths, it should
(1) be heavily scented
(2) be shaped like a tulip
(3) close about noon
(4) be brightly colored
A fertilized embryo sac of an angiosperm contains:
I. Haploid cells
II. Diploid cells
III. Triploid cells
1. I and II only
2. I and II only
3. II and III only
4. I, II and III
The embryo of a grass seed is enclosed by two protective sheaths, a(n) _________, which covers the young shoot, and a(n) __________, which covers the young root.
1. plumule; radical
2. hypocotyl; picotyls
3. coleoptile; coleorrhiza
4. scutellum; replum