Plants can get along without respiratory organs because of all the following except:
1. Each plant part takes care of its own gas exchange needs
2. Plants do not present great demands for gas exchange.
3. Gas diffusion in plants occurs easily over long distances in plants
4. Each living cell in a plant is located quite close to the surface of plant
Sucrose is converted into glucose and fructose by the enzyme:
The co-factor required for the activity of pyruvate dehydrogenase is:
In the mitochondrial electron transport system, the term Complex III refers to:
1. NADH dehydrogenase
2. Cytochrome c
4. Cytochrome bc1 complex
For each ATP produced, how many H passes through F0 from the intermembrane space to the matrix down the electrochemical proton gradient?
If fatty acids were to be respired, they would first be degraded to:
1. Glucose-6 phosphate
4. Alpha ketoglutarate
In the absence of oxygen, the primary purpose of fermentation is to:
1. produce amino acids for protein synthesis
2. generate a proton gradient for ATP synthesis
3. oxidize glucose to generate reduce electron carriers
4. regenerate NAD+ from NADH allowing glycolysis to continue
During glycolysis, when glucose is catabolized to pyruvate, most of the energy of glucose is
1. transferred to ADP, forming ATP.
2. transferred directly to ATP.
3. retained in the pyruvate.
4. stored in the NADH produced.
ATP production during cellular respiration is controlled by allosteric inhibition. The control is the allosteric inhibition by ATP and citric acid of the enzyme that facilitates the formation of:
1. Glucose 6- phosphate from glucose
2. Fructose 1,6- bisphosphate from Fructose 6 - phosphate
3. Acetyl CoA from Pyruvic acid
4. Citric acid from Acetyl CoA and Oxaloacetic acid
When proteins are used as respiratory substrates, the respiratory quotient would be about: