Identify the incorrect statement regarding mosses:
1. Leaves are one cell thick except at the midrib and lack stomata
2. The first gametophyte stage is protonema that is creeping and green
3. The second stage is the leafy stage, which develops from the secondary protonema as a lateral bud.
4. Rhizoids are elongated and unicellular
Consider the following statements regarding bryophytes:
I. Bryophytes are also called amphibians of the plant kingdom because they are depndent on water for sexual reproduction.
II. They play an important role in plant succession on bare rocks.
III. They lack true roots, stem or leaves.
IV. The sex organs in bryophytes are multicelluar.
V. They produce biflagellate zoospres.
VI. Archegonium is flask-shaped and produces a single egg.
The number of corrected statements is
Evolutionarily, the first terrestrial plants to possess vascular tissues are:
Which of the following statements regarding gymnosperms are correct?
I. Ovules are naked - not enclosed by any ovary wall before fertilisation but seeds that develop after fertilisation are covered.
II. In all living Gymnosperms, sporophyte is dominant over the gametophyte.
III. They are hetrosporous.
IV. The male and female gametophytes do not have an independent existence.
1. I, II and III
2. I, III and IV
3. II, III and IV
4. I, II, III and IV
Which of the following algae is likely to be found in the deepest waters?
(4) All are found at equal depths
Which pair[s] is/are in incorrectly matched?
I. Phaeophyceae - Algin in cell wall
II. Chlorophyceae - Laminarin is stored food
III. Rhodophyceae - 2, unequal, lateral flagella
(1) Only II
(2) Only III
(3) I and II only
(4) II and III only
The gemmae produced by some liverworts function as:
(1) A water gathering structure
(2) A light capturing structure
(3) A sexual structure
(4) An asexual structure
All the following differentiate gymnosperms from the higher cryptogams except:
(1) Presence of an independent green gametophyte
(2) development of an ovule
(3) Formation of the pollen tube
(4) Presence of cambium
Heterosporous ferns include both:
(1) Lycopodium and Equisetum
(2) Selaginella and Salvinia
(3) Psilotum and Phylloglossum
(4) Selaginella and Equisetum
The life cycle is not haplo-diplontic in: