Given below are two statements: 
Statement I: A \(\mathrm{Li}\text{-ion}\) battery stores electric charge as well as electrical energy.
Statement II: A charged capacitor stores electrical energy.
 
1. Statement I is incorrect and Statement II is correct.
2. Both Statement I and Statement II are correct.
3. Both Statement I and Statement II are incorrect.
4. Statement I is correct and Statement II is incorrect.
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
Level 4: Below 35%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


Two non-ideal batteries are connected in parallel: Battery of EMF \(E_1,\) resistance \(r_1\) and of EMF \(E_2,\) resistance \(r_2.\) The resulting equivalent battery has EMF '\(E,\)' resistance \(r.\) If \(r_1<r_2,\) 
1. \(|E-E_1|<|E-E_2|\) 2. \(|E+E_1|<|E+E_2|\)
3. \(|E-E_1|>|E-E_2|\) 4. \(|E+E_1|>|E+E_2|\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
Level 3: 35%-60%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


Two cells having emfs \(3\) V and \(2\) V are connected in parallel and they give an emf of \(0.5\) V in the same sense as \(3\) V \(-\) cell. The internal resistances of the cells are \(r_1\) and \(r_2\) respectively. If one cell is reversed, their combined emf becomes \(2.5\) V. The ratio of their internal resistances \(\Big(\dfrac{r_1}{r_2}\Big) \) is:
1. \(1\)
2. \(\dfrac12\)
3. \(\dfrac21\)
4. \(\sqrt2\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
 67%
Level 2: 60%+

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


advertisementadvertisement

The maximum power that a combination of two cells of EMF \(E_1\) & \(E_2\) \((E_1>E_2)\) can transfer to an external resistance is \(2~\text{W},\) when they are connected in series. When the EMF's are connected in opposite sense, but in series, this power is \(0.5~\text{W}.\) The ratio of the EMF's is, \((E_1/E_2)\)
1. \(4\)
2. \(3\)
3. \(2\)
4. \(1\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
 61%
Level 2: 60%+

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


In Column-I are quantities associated with some devices, and in Column-II are the rules for finding equivalent values when these devices are connected in certain manner. For each quantity in Column-I, match the correct law of combination in Column-II.
Column-I Column-II
(A) EMF's of ideal cells \((X)\) in the same orientation (I) In series,
\(X_{\text{eq}}=X_1+X_2+...\)
(B) Resistances \((X)\) (II) In parallel,
\(\dfrac{1}{X_{\text{eq}}}=\dfrac{1}{X_1}+\dfrac{1}{X_2}+...\)
(C) Capacitances \((X)\) (III) In series,
\(\dfrac{1}{X_{\text{eq}}}=\dfrac{1}{X_1}+\dfrac{1}{X_2}+...\)
(D) Conductances \((X)\) (IV) In parallel,
\(X_{\text{eq}}=X_1+X_2+...\)
 
1. \(\mathrm{A\text-I,II;B\text-I,II;C\text-III,IV;D\text-III,IV}\)
2. \(\mathrm{A\text-I,II;B\text-I,II;C\text-III,IV;D\text-I,II}\)
3. \(\mathrm{A\text-I;B\text-I,II;C\text-III,IV;D\text-III,IV}\)
4. \(\mathrm{A\text-I;B\text-I,II;C\text-III,IV;D\text-I,II}\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
Level 3: 35%-60%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


All the cells shown in the combinations are identical, having an EMF of \(6~\text V\) and internal resistance of \(1~\Omega.\) In Column-I, are shown some combinations of cells with the final connecting terminals as \(A\) & \(B.\) In Column-II, are mentioned the EMF's of these combinations \((E) \) & the maximum currents that can be drawn \(\left(I_{\text{max}}\right).\) Match the correct combination in Column-I with their corresponding values in Column-II. Note that the internal resistances are not shown.
Column-I Column-II
\(\mathrm{(A)}\) \(\mathrm{(I)}\) \(E=0~\text V,I_{\text{max}}=0~\text A\)
\(\mathrm{(B)}\) \(\mathrm{(II)}\) \(E=6~\text V,I_{\text{max}}=8~\text A\)
\(\mathrm{(C)}\) \(\mathrm{(III)}\) \(E=4~\text V,I_{\text{max}}=6~\text A\)
\(\mathrm{(D)}\) \(\mathrm{(IV)}\) \(E=2.4~\text V,I_{\text{max}}=6~\text A\)
 
1. \(\mathrm{A\text-IV,B\text-IV,C\text-I,D\text-I}\)
2. \(\mathrm{A\text-III,B\text-I,C\text-I,D\text-I}\)
3. \(\mathrm{A\text-II,B\text-I,C\text-III,D\text-I}\)
4. \(\mathrm{A\text-II,B\text-III,C\text-IV,D\text-I}\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
Level 3: 35%-60%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


advertisementadvertisement

When ideal cells with EMF's \(E_1,E_2\) and initially uncharged capacitors \(C_1,C_2\) are connected in parallel, the system can be replaced by a single cell of EMF \(E_{\text{eq}}\) and capacitance \(C_{\text{eq}}\) – just as we do it for parallel combination of cells with internal resistances.

The replacement rule is shown here for two capacitors (and the cells):
\(E_{\text{eq}}=\dfrac{C_1E_1+C_2E_2}{C_1+C_2}\)  &  \(C_{\text{eq}}=C_1+C_2\)
Note that one needs to keep in mind the direction of the EMF.
Two cells of EMFs \(5~\text V\) & \(2~\text V\) are connected with \(4~\mu \text F\) & \(2~\mu \text F\) capacitors:

The two capacitors are initially uncharged.
The potential difference between \(A\) & \(B\) will be:
1. \(3.5~\text V\) 2. \(1.5~\text V\)
3. \(4~\text V\) 4. \(7~\text V\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
 70%
Level 2: 60%+

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


When ideal cells with EMF's \(E_1,E_2\) and initially uncharged capacitors \(C_1,C_2\) are connected in parallel, the system can be replaced by a single cell of EMF \(E_{\text{eq}}\) and capacitance \(C_{\text{eq}}\) – just as we do it for parallel combination of cells with internal resistances.

The replacement rule is shown here for two capacitors (and the cells):
\(E_{\text{eq}}=\dfrac{C_1E_1+C_2E_2}{C_1+C_2}\)  &  \(C_{\text{eq}}=C_1+C_2\)
Note that one needs to keep in mind the direction of the EMF.
Two cells of EMFs \(5~\text V\) & \(2~\text V\) are connected with \(4~\mu \text F\) & \(2~\mu \text F\) capacitors:

The two capacitors are initially uncharged.
The potential differences across the \(4~\mu \text F\) and \(2~\mu \text F\) capacitors will have the magnitudes, respectively:
1. \(1~\text V,2~\text V\) 2. \(1.5~\text V,1.5~\text V\)
3. \(3.5~\text V,0.5~\text V\) 4. \(2~\text V,5~\text V\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
Level 3: 35%-60%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


When ideal cells with EMF's \(E_1,E_2\) and initially uncharged capacitors \(C_1,C_2\) are connected in parallel, the system can be replaced by a single cell of EMF \(E_{\text{eq}}\) and capacitance \(C_{\text{eq}}\) – just as we do it for parallel combination of cells with internal resistances.

The replacement rule is shown here for two capacitors (and the cells):
\(E_{\text{eq}}=\dfrac{C_1E_1+C_2E_2}{C_1+C_2}\)  &  \(C_{\text{eq}}=C_1+C_2\)
Note that one needs to keep in mind the direction of the EMF.
Two cells of EMFs \(5~\text V\) & \(2~\text V\) are connected with \(4~\mu \text F\) & \(2~\mu \text F\) capacitors:

The two capacitors are initially uncharged.
If an external resistance of \(2~\Omega\) is connected between \(A\) & \(B,\) the current that would flow through it is, initially:
1. \(2.5~\text A\) 2. \(1~\text A\)
3. \(3.5~\text A\) 4. \(2~\text A\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
 59%
Level 3: 35%-60%

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.


advertisementadvertisement

When ideal cells with EMF's \(E_1,E_2\) and initially uncharged capacitors \(C_1,C_2\) are connected in parallel, the system can be replaced by a single cell of EMF \(E_{\text{eq}}\) and capacitance \(C_{\text{eq}}\) – just as we do it for parallel combination of cells with internal resistances.

The replacement rule is shown here for two capacitors (and the cells):
\(E_{\text{eq}}=\dfrac{C_1E_1+C_2E_2}{C_1+C_2}\)  &  \(C_{\text{eq}}=C_1+C_2\)
Note that one needs to keep in mind the direction of the EMF.
Two cells of EMFs \(5~\text V\) & \(2~\text V\) are connected with \(4~\mu \text F\) & \(2~\mu \text F\) capacitors:

The two capacitors are initially uncharged.
If the \(2~\text V\) cell is reversed and an external resistance of \(2~\Omega\) is connected between \(A\) & \(B,\) the initial current through the \(2~\Omega\) resistance will be:
1. \(\dfrac43~\text A\) 2. \(\dfrac83~\text A\)
3. \(\dfrac32~\text A\) 4. \(\dfrac74~\text A\)
Subtopic:  Grouping of Cells |
 62%
Level 2: 60%+

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.

Hints

To unlock all the explanations of this course, you need to be enrolled.