In land plands, the guard cells differ from other epidermal cells in having :
3. Endoplasmic reticulum
Turgor pressure is also referred to as
1. solute potential
2. water potential
3. pressure potential
4. osmotic potential
In most species, as K+ moves in or out of the guard cell to regulate the stomatal opening, there is movement in the opposite direction by
The opening of the stomata is effected by all of the following except
1. oxygen concentration
4. carbon dioxide concentration
Capillary forces will lift water _______________ in a glass tube equal to the diameter of a xylem element.
1. 10.4 meters
2. 8.3 meters
3. 5.6 meters
4. less than 1 meter
The process responsible for the movement of water from roots to all other parts of plants is
1. Evaporation fo Water from leaves
2. Capillary action
3. Active transport
4. Both 1 and 2
The combination of pressure potential and solute potential is
1. water potential
2. Osmotic pressure
3. osmotic potential
4. Both b and c
Scientists take advantage of _______________ in studying translocation by phloem.
What may be regarded as a valid difference between active and passive absorption of water?
1. Passive absorption is affected by the presence of metabolic inhibitors
2. active absorption is accelerated by the presence of auxins
3. Passive absorption is dependent on development of root pressure
4. Active absorption is dependent on aerial parts of plants for the development of a pull force.