Water is lost in a liquid state in some plants through hydathodes. These hydathodes
1. remain closed at night
2. remain closed during day
3. remain always open
4. do not show any specificity in opening and closing.
Which of the following statements are true/false?
a. the positive hydrostatic pressure is called turgor pressure.
b. wall pressure exerts to prevent the increase of protoplasm size.
c. diffusion is more rapid in liquids than in gases
d. diffusion of water through a semi-permeable membrane is called imbition
e. osmosis is movement of substances which takes place along a diffusion gradient.
1. a and b are true & c, d and e are false
2. a and c are true & d, d and e are false
3. a and d are true & b, c and e are false
4. a and e are true & b, c and d are false
Path of water movement from soil to xylem is :
1. soil root hair cortex pericycle endodermis metaxylem protoxylem
2. soil root hair cortex endodermis pericycle protoxylem metaxylem
3. soil root hair epidermis endodermis phloem xylem
4. soil root hair epidodermiscortex phloem xylem
In land plands, the guard cells differ from other epidermal cells in having :
3. Endoplasmic reticulum
Turgor pressure is also referred to as
1. solute potential
2. water potential
3. pressure potential
4. osmotic potential
In most species, as K+ moves in or out of the guard cell to regulate the stomatal opening, there is movement in the opposite direction by
The opening of the stomata is effected by all of the following except
1. oxygen concentration
4. carbon dioxide concentration
Capillary forces will lift water _______________ in a glass tube equal to the diameter of a xylem element.
1. 10.4 meters
2. 8.3 meters
3. 5.6 meters
4. less than 1 meter
The process responsible for the movement of water from roots to all other parts of plants is
1. Evaporation fo Water from leaves
2. Capillary action
3. Active transport
4. Both 1 and 2