The central portion of nodule is pink in color due to
(1) Leg- haemoglobin
These are the events of Nodule formation:
a. Rhizobia get attached to epidermal and root hair.
b. Rhizobia multiply and colonise the surroundings of roots
c. Bacteria invade the root hair
d. The root hairs curl
e. An infection thread is produced
f. Bacteria are released from the thread into the cells
g. Infection thread carries the bacteria into the cortex of the root
h. The release of bacteria into cortex leads to the differentiation of specialised nitrogen fixing cells
i. Establishment of a direct vascular connection with the host for exchange
j. Nodule is formed finally
k. Initiation of nodule formation in the cortex of the root
Arrange them in order.
Which of the following does not happen during nodule formation?
(1) Rhizobium bacteria contact a susceptible root hair, divide near it
(2) Successful infection of root hair causes it to curl
(3) Infected thread carries the bacteria to the inner cortex
(4) The bacteria get modified into rod shaped bacteroides and cause inner cortical and endodermal cells to divide
Nodule formation is a result of
(1) Division and growth of cortical cells
(2) Division and growth of pericycle cells
(3) Division and growth of endodermal cells
(4) Both A and B
To produce two molecules of ammonia, how many ATP are hydrolysed?
Enzyme Nitrogenase is
(1) Highly sensitive to the molecular oxygen
(2) Least sensitive to the molecular oxygen
(3) Highly sensitive to carbon dioxide
(4) Least active enzyme
To protect nitrogenase from oxygen, which of the following in nodule will act as scavenger
(2) Anaerobic mode of life
(3) Both 1. and 2.
The nitrogen fixing bacteria are
(1) Always free living
(2) Generally free living aerobes but during nitrogen fixing event it becomes anaerobic
(3) Always anaerobic
(4) Generally anaerobic but under nitrogen fixing event, it becomes aerobic
The energy required, for the process of nitrogen metabolism comes from
(1) Respiration of the host cells
(2) Oxidation of the host cells
(3) Respiration of the bacterial cells
(4) Oxidation of the bacterial cells
Ammonium is used to synthesise amino acids in plants which of the following is not a way?
(1) Reductive Amination
(3) Oxidative amination
(4) All of these