Which one of the following is considered important in the development of seed habit?
(1) Dependent sporophyte
(3) Haplontic life cycle
(4) Free-living gametophyte
In which one of the following, the male and female gametophytes don't have free-living independent existence?
Which one of the following is heterosporous?
Select one of the following pairs of important features distinguishing Gnetum from Cycas and Pinus and showing affinities with angiosperms
(1) absence of resin duct and leaf venation
(2) presence of vessel elements and absence of archegonia
(3) perianth and two integuments
(4) embryo development and apical meristem
Flagellated male gametes are present in all the three of which one of the following sets?
(1) Anthoceros, Funaria and Spirogyra
(2) Zygnema, Saprolegnia and Hydrilla
(3) Fucus, Marsilea and Calotropis
(4) Riccia, Dryopteris and Cycas
In gymnosperms, the pollen chamber represents:
(1) a cell in the pollen grain in which the sperms are formed
(2) a cavity in the ovule in which pollen grains are stored after pollination
(3) an opening in the megagametophyte through which the pollen tube approaches the egg
(4) the microsporangium in which pollen grains develop
Spore dissemination in some liverworts is aided by:
(4) peristome teeth
If you are asked to classify the various algae into distinct groups, which of the following characters you should choose?
(1) Types of pigments present in the cell
(2) Nature of stored food materials in the cell
(3) Structural organisation of thallus
(4) Chemical composition of the cell wall
Moss peat is used as a packing material for sending flowers and live plants to distant places because:
(1) it is easily available
(2) it is hygroscopic
(3) it reduces transpiration
(4) it serves as a disinfectant
Conifers differ from grasses in the :
(1) production of seeds from ovules
(2) lack of xylem tracheids
(3) absence of pollen tubes
(4) formation of endosperm before fertilization