Which of the following taxonomic categories contains organisms least similar to one another?
The label of a herbarium sheet does not carry information on
(1) date of collection
(2) name of collector
(3) local names
(4) height of the plant
Match column I with column II for housefly classification and select the correct option using the codes given below:
|Column I||Column II|
A B C D
(1) 3 1 4 2
(2) 3 2 4 1
(3) 4 3 2 1
(4) 4 2 1 3
Study the four statements (I-IV) given below and select the two correct ones out of them:
I. Definition of biological species was given by Ernst Mayr.
II. Photoperiod does not affect reproduction in plants.
III. Binomial nomenclature system was given by RH Whittaker.
IV. In unicellular organisms, reproduction is synonymous with growth.
The two correct statements are
(1) II and III
(2) III and IV
(3) I and IV
(4) I and II
The living organisms can be unexceptionally distinguished from the non-living things on the basis of their ability for:
(1) responsiveness to touch
(2) interaction with the environment and progressive evolution
(4) growth and movement
Biological organisation starts with
(1) Submicroscopic molecular level
(2) Cellular level
(3) Organnismic level
(4) Atomic level
ICBN stands for:
(1) Indian Congress of Biological Names
(2) International Code of Botanical Nomenclature
(3) International Congress of Biological Names
(4) Indian Code of Botanical NOmenclature
Evolutionary history of an organism is known as :
Which one of the following is not a correct statement?
1. Herbarium houses dried, pressed and preserved plant specimens
2. Botanical gardens have collection of living plants for reference
3. A museum has collection of photographs of plants and animals
4. Key is a taxonomic aid for identification of specimens
Nicotiana sylvestris flowers only during long days and N.tabacum flowers only during short days. If raised in the laboratory under different photoperiods, they can be induced to flower at the same time and can be cross-fertilized to produce self-fertile offspring. What is the best reason for considering N.sylvestris and N.tabacum to be separation species?
(1) They cannot interbreed in nature
(2) They are reproductively distinct
(3) They are physiologically distinct
(4) They are morphologically distinct