While heat gain or heat loss is the function of ______, heat production is the function of ________ of the body of an animal.
1. Volume; Surface area
2. Surface area; Volume
3. Volume; Volume
4. Surface area; Surface area
In the logistic growth equation given below, the carrying capacity is represented by:
dN/dT = rN(K-N)/K
The plant Cuscuta is a:
1. Partial root parasite
2. Partial stem parasite
3. Total root parasite
4. Total stem parasite
Which one of the following are important biotic factors that can affect the structure and organization of biological communities?
1. Temperature and rainfall
2. Nutrient availability and soil pH
3. Predation and competition
4. Light intensity and seasonality
In a tide pool, 15 species of invertebrates were reduced to 8 after one species was removed. The removed species may be a:
3. Top predator
Which of the following is the breeding place for Flamingoes in India?
1. Lake Chilka
2. Sambar lake
3. Runn of Kuchch
4. Silent valley
If global warming continues, in general, how what would be the expected effect on the distributional range of some species ?
1. It will be an equatorial shift
2. It will be a pole ward shift
3. It will have no impact
4. It will affect only plants
The logistic growth curve of animal population growth is more realistic than J shaped curve because:
1. Asexual mode of reproduction is rare in higher animals
2. Resources are finite and become limiting sooner or later.
3. Most animals are conformers rather than regulators
4. Abiotic factors affect animals more than plants
Which of the following is not a function of predators?
1. They act as conduits for energy transfer across trophic levels
2. They keep prey populations under control
3. They help in the stabilization of the ecosystems
4. They decrease the species diversity in a community
Very small animals are rarely found in polar region mainly because:
1. Smaller animals have a relatively slower heart rate
2. Smaller animals have a more surface area relative to their volume
3. Smaller animals are invariably herbivores
4. Smaller animals rely on diffusion for exchange of gases with the environment