Cell is the fundamental structural and functional unit of all living organisms because:
(1) Anything less than a complete structure of a cell does not ensure independent living.
(2) The metabolic reactions can only occur inside a living cell.
(3) Nucleic acids present in the cells ensure living state.
(4) The membrane bound organelles cause differentiation for proper functioning.
Who concluded, based on his studies on plant tissues, that the presence of cell wall is a unique character of plant cells ?
1. Mathias Schleiden
2. Theodore Schwann
3. Rudolph Virchow
4. Robert Hooke
Prokaryotic mesosomes do not help in:
1. Cell wall formation
2. DNA replication
The endomembrane system of a eukaryotic cell does not include:
1. Endoplasmic reticulum
The cis and trans faces of the Golgi Apparatus are:
1. Similar but not interconnected
2. Similar and interconnected
3. Entirely different but interconnected
4. Entirely different and not interconnected
Plastids used in storing proteins are called as:
A centriole-like structure, from which the cilium and the flagellum emerge, is the:
2. Basal body
The outer membrane of the nucleus:
I. is continuous with the Endoplasmic reticulum
II. does not bear ribosomes.
1. Only I is correct
2. Only II is correct
3. Both I and II are correct
4. Both I and II are incorrect
If the centromere is situated close to the end of a chromosome, it is called as:
Centrioles, cilia, flagella, and basal bodies have remarkably similar structural elements and arrangements. This leads us to which of the following as a probable hypothesis?
1. Disruption of one of these types of structure should necessarily disrupt each of the others as well.
2. Loss of basal bodies should lead to loss of all cilia, flagella, and centrioles.
3. Motor proteins such as dynein must have evolved before any of these four kinds of structure.
4. Natural selection for motility must select for microtubular arrays in circular patterns.