The cleavage divisions in humans is:
1. holoblastic, equal and indeterminate
2. holoblastic, unequal and indeterminate
3. holoblastic, equal and determinate
4. holoblastic, unequal and determinate
Extra embryonic membranes of mammalian embryo are derived from:
1. Inner cell mass
2. Formative cells
3. Trophoblast cells
4. Follicle cells
Each seminiferous tubule is lined on its inside by:
2. Primary spermatocytes
3. Sertoli cells
4. Both 1 and 3
1. Are present in seminiferous tubules and secrete androgens
2. Are present in seminiferous tubules and help in maturation of sperms
3. Are present in interstitial space and secrete androgens
4. Are present in interstitial space and help in maturation of sperms
Ovaries are the primary sex organs in human females because they:
I. Produce the female gamete
II. Produce the hormone that regulates the development of secondary sexual characters
1. Both I and lI
3. Only II
The final release of sperms from the seminiferous tubules is called:
3. Retrograde ejaculation
What causes the onset the puberty in males?
1. Increase in secretion of testosterone by testis
2. Decrease in secretion of testosterone by testis
3. Increase in secretion of GnRH by hypothalamus
4. Decrease in secretion of GnRH by hypothalamus
1. Acts on Sertoli cells and stimulates secretion of some factors that help in spermiogenesis
2. Acts on Sertoli cells and inhibits secretion of some factors that help in spermiogenesis
3. Acts on Leydig cells and stimulates secretion of some factors that help in spermiogenesis
4. Acts on Leydig cells and inhibits secretion of some factors that help in spermiogenesis
The function of male sex accessory ducts and glands are maintained by:
1. Hypothalamic releasing hormone
2. Pitutary gonadotropins
3. Adrenal cortex steroids
4. Testicular androgens
The division of primary oocyte results in:
1. unequal cells a smaller haploid secondary oocyte and a larger diploid polar body
2. unequal cells a larger haploid secondary oocyte and a smaller haploid polar body
3. unequal cells a smaller diploid secondary oocyte and a larger haploid polar body
4. equal cells - a haploid secondary oocyte and a haploid polar body
The correct sequence of the various phases of a typical menstrual cycle is:
(1) Menstrual Follicular secretory Ovulatory
(2) Menstrual Follicular Ovulatory secretory
(3) Ovulatory Follicular secretory Menstrual
(4) Menstrual secretory Follicular Ovulatory
In the absence of fertilization, corpus luteum:
1. Stops secreting progesterone but increases the secretion of estrogen
2. Stops secreting estrogen but increases the secretion of progesterone
3. Increases the secretion of both progesterone and estrogen
What ensures that only one sperm can fertilize the ovum?
1. Corona radiata
2. Ground substance around ovum
3. Zona pellucida
The first movements of the fetus and the appearance of hair on the head are usually observed during:
1. 2nd month
2. 3rd month
3. 5th month
4. 6th month
At what point does the secondary oocyte complete meiosis?
1. when acrosomal enzymes begin to break down the egg's jelly coat
2. when the luteinizing hormone triggers ovulation
3 after it is penetrated by a sperm cell
4. when the secondary oocyte implants in the endometrium of the uterus
How do ovulated oocytes get into the uterus?
1. Because ovaries are within the uterus, the ovulated egg is already within the uterus.
2. Cilia within an oviduct create currents that sweep the egg toward the uterus.
3. The oocyte actively swims through the oviduct, using its flagellum.
4. Fimbriae sweep over the oviduct.
Which of the following is secreted only during the luteal phase of a menstrual cycle ?
Which of these structures contributes the greatest percentage to semen ?
(1) Bulbourethral glands
(3) Seminal vesicles
Which event is incorrectly matched with the time of its occurence [with respect to a 28 days menstrual cycle] ?
(1) Beginning of the menstrual flow - Day 1
(2) Ovulation - Day 14
(3) Beginning of the proliferative phase - Day 5
(4) Peak secretion of estrogen - Day 22
Number of spermatozoa single primary spermatocyte ultimately produces in spermatogenesis is
Follicular atresia is
(1) Formation of corpus luteum
(2) Degeneration of folliciles
(3) Formation of Graffian follicle
(4) Increase in number of follicles
Which of the following hormones acts on the Sertoli cells to stimulate secretion of some factors which help in the process of spermiogenesis?
The developing oocyte divides and releases the first polar body in :
1. Primary follicle
2. Secondary follicle
3. Tertiary follicle
4. Graffian follicle
Mature sperms in humans are stored in:
(1) Seminal vesicles
(3) Vas deferens
(4) Rete testis
Menstruation is triggered by an abrupt decline in the amount of:
Capacitation occurs in
(a) rete testis
(c) vas deferens
(d) female reproductive tract
Match column I with column II and select the correct option using the codes given below
Column 1 Column II
A. Mons pubis 1. Embryo formation
B. Antrum 2. Sperm
C. Trophectoderm 3. Female external genitalia
D. Nebenkern 4. Graafian follicle
A B C D
(a) 3 4 2 1
(b) 3 4 1 2
(c) 3 1 4 2
(d) 1 4 3 2
Identify the correct statement on ‘inhibin'
1. Is produced by granulosa cells in ovary and inhibits the secretion of FSH
2. Is produced by granulosa cells in ovary and inhibits the secretion of LH
3. Is produced by nurse cells in testes and inhibits the secretion of LH
4. Inhibits the secretion of LH, FSH and prolactin
Ectopic pregnancies are referred to as
1. pregnancies with genetic abnormality
2. implantation of embryo at site other than uterus
3. implantation of defective embryo in the uterus
4. pregnancies terminated due to the hormonal imbalance
Select the correct option describing gonadotropin activity in a normal pregnant female
1. High level of FSH and LH stimulates the thickening of endometrium
2. High level of FSH and LH facilitate implantation of the embryo
3. High level of HCG stimulates the synthesis of estrogen and progesterone
4. High level of HCG stimulates the thickening of endometrium
Which one of the following is not the function of placenta?
1. facilitates supply of oxygen and nutrients to embryo
2. secretes oestrogen
3. facilitates removal of carbon dioxide and waste material from embryo
4. secretes oxytocin during parturition
In a normal pregnant woman, the amount of total gonadotropin activity was assessed.
The result expected was
1. High level of circulating FSH and LH in the uterus to stimulate implantation of the
2. High level of circulating HCG to stimulate endometrial thickening
3. High levels of FSH and LH in uterus to stimulate endometrial thickening
4. High level of circulating HCG to stimulate oestrogen and progesterone synthesis
If for some reason, the vasa efferentia in the human reproductive system get blocked,
the gametes will not be transported from
1. epididymis to vas deferens
2. ovary to uterus
3. vagina to uterus
4. testes to epididymis
Which one of the following statements about morula in humans is correct?
1. It has almost equal quantity of cytoplasm as an uncleaved zygote but much more DNA
2. It has far less cytoplasm as well as less DNA than in an uncleaved zygote
3. It has more or less equal quantity of cytoplasm and DNA as in uncleaved zygote
4. It has more cytoplasm and more DNA than an uncleaved zygote
A change in the amount of yolk and its distribution in the egg will affect
1. formation of zygote
2. pattern of cleavage
3. number of blastomeres produced
In humans, at the end of the first meiotic division, the male germ cells differentiate into
1. primary spermatocytes
2. secondary spermatocytes
Which one of the following statement is incorrect about menstruation?
1. During normal menstruation about 40 mL blood is lost
2. The menstrual fluid can easily clot
3. At menopause in the female, there is especially abrupt increase in gonadotropic
4. The beginning of the cycle of menstruation is called menarche
Which of the following statements is incorrect ?
1. The spermatids differentiate into structurally complex spermatozoa by the process of
2. Fertilisation is a physico-chemical event.
3. Cleavage transforms the fertilized ovum into a sphere of aggregated blastomeres.
into a sphere of aggregated blastomeres.
4. Cleavage divisions bring appreciable increase in the mass of protoplasm in the
A cross section at the midpoint of the middle piece of a human sperm will show
(a) centriole, mitochondria and 9+2 arrangement of microtubules
(b) centriole and mitochondria
(c) mitochondria and 9+2 arrangement of microtubules
(d) 9+2 arrangement of microtubules only
Which of the following is true regarding sperm?
(a) Fertilizin : For penetrating egg membrane
(b) Hyaluronidase : For penetrating egg membrane
(c) Acrosin : Dissolves corona radiata
(d) Capacitation : Takes place in penis
Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) Monkey, apes and humans exhibit estrous cycle.
(b) Urine is pale yellow and slightly alkaline.
(c) Lots of enzymes are present in bile juice.
(d) Ovulation in humans is spontaneous.
Starting from the maximum, arrange the following male reproductive accessory organs in the correct order, based on the amount of secretion poured into urethra
(i) Prostrate gland
(ii) Seminal vesicle
(iii) Bulbourethral gland
(a) (i) > (ii) > (iii)
(b) (iii) > (ii) > (i)
(c) (ii) > (iii) > (i)
(d) (ii) > (i) > (iii)
Select the correct explanation for the labels A,B,C and D.
(a) A represents the fertilised zygote.
(b) B represents the stage of morula formation.
(c) C represents the blastocyst.
(d) D represents the blastocyst implantation.
Which of the following hormones is secreted by implanted blastocyst, that acts on the corpus luteum in the ovary, stimulating the body to produce estrogens and progesterone to maintain the uterine lining?
Assertion : Penis of male is homologous to clitoris of human female.
Reason : Both are highly sensitive and both supported by corpora cavernosa.