Which of the following statements is not correct with respect to the epithelial tissue?
(1) It covers the external surface of the body and internal surface of many organs.
(2) The neighbouring cells are held together by cell junctions and there is very little extra cellular material.
(3) The epithelial cells rest on a cellular basement membrane that separates it from underlaying connective tissue.
(4) There is no blood vessel supplying the nutrients to the epithelial cells.
The cells that release heparin and histamines in the blood are:
(2) Mast cells
Identify the incorrect statement:
(1) In both male and female cockroach, 8th and 9th tergites are mostly covered by the 7th
(2) Ventrally, the abdomen in cockroach has only 9 sternites in males and 7 in females
(3) In female cockroach, the 7th sternite along with 8th and 9th forms gynatrium
(4) the anterior most part of the gynatrium is called the oothecal chamber
Which of the following features is not present in Periplaneta americana?
(1) Indeterminate and radial cleavage during embryonic development
(2) Exoskeleton composed of N-acetylglucosamine
(3) Metamerically segmented body
(4) Schizocoelom as body cavity
Which one of the following animals has two separate circulatory pathways?
Areolar connective tissue joins :
(1) fat body with muscles
(2) integument with muscles
(3) bones with muscles
(4) bones with bones
The ganglia of sympathetic and the central nervous system in frog develops from the
(1) neural cell
(2) neural plate cells
(3) notochordal cells
(4) neural crest cells
Tadpoles of frog can be made to grow as giant sized tadpoles, if they are
(1) administered antithyroid substance like thiourea
(2) administered large amounts of thyroxine
(3) reared on a diet rich in egg yolk
(4) reared on a diet rich in both egg yolk and glucose.
Pseudostratified columnar epithelium with stereocilia are located in
(2) Vas Deferens
Epithelial cells are connected to basement membrane by
(1) Tight junctions
(2) Adherens Junctions
Apart from the hematopoietic cells, bone marrow is largely composed of
(1) areolar tissue
(2) adipose tissue
(3) white fibrous tissue
Smooth muscles do not contain
(3) Cytoplasmic reticulum
Which of the following are the three basic components of all type of connective tissue except blood?
(1) Cells, fibres and ground substances
(2) Fibroblast, reticular fibres and collagen
(3) Mast cells, lymphocytes and adipocyte
(4) Arteries, veins and capillaries
Which among the following difference is incorrect between bone and cartilage ?
Hard and pliable
Solid and non-pliable
Composed of osteocytes
Composed of chondrocytes
Present in spaces called as lacunae
Enclosed in small cavities within matrix secreted by them
In adults, bone > cartilage
In vertebrate embryo, cartilage > bone
Which mouth part of cockroach has grinding and incising part ?
(3) Mandible and maxilla
Vestibulum is a part of
Assertion : Haemoglobin is said to be a conjugated protein.
Reason : It is composed of a protein called haem and a non protein iron porphyrin complex called globin.
Assertion : Thrombin is necessary to initiate blood coagulation.
Reason : Thrombin helps in the formation of thromboplastins.
Assertion : Simple epithelium covers surfaces exposed to mechanical or chemical abrasions.
Reason : Protection of underlying tissues is the major function of simple epithelium.
Assertion : Pseudostratified ciliated columnar epithelium is present in the inner lining of trachea.
Reason : Ciliary movements propel the mucus & foreign particles towards the larynx.