Some allele make organisms better adapted to the environment and thus make them
more successful in
1. Better resource utilization.
2. Reproduction and leave more progeny.
3. lncrease in the life span.
4. Both (a) and (b).
ln the abscence of lndustrial pollution in England
1. Black colour moth does nott appear.
2. Light and dark colour moth frequency would be almost equal.
3. Only light coloured moth would have survived.
4. Prepdation of dark colour moth would be far greater than light coloured moth.
Speciation of fish or fowl is very slow, in respect to microbes, due to
1. They reproduce by sexual method only.
2. Very low rate of mutation.
3. Respectively bigger life span.
4. Genetic bottleneck.
Which of the following infrence can drawn from microbial experiment?
(i) Natural selection act on pre-existing advantageous mutation.
(ii) Mutational changes when selected will result in observation of new phenotype.
(iii) Favourable mutational changes, get accumulated and over few generations, this
would result in speciation.
(iv) Useful variations are pre-adaptive.
1. (i), (ii), (iii), (iv)
2. (i), (iv) only
3. (i) , (ii) only
4. (i) only
Which of the following ideas is common to both Darwin's and Lamark's theory of
1. The Fossil record supports the view that species fixed.
2. Adaptation results from differental reproductive success.
3. Adaptation results from the use and disuse of anatomical structures.
4. Evolutionary adaptation results from interactions between organisms and their
Which pair of strutures is leas likely to represent homology?
1. The brain of a frog and the brain of a dog.
2. The mitochondria of a plant and those of an animal.
3. The bark of a tree and the protective covering of a lobster.
4. The cytochrome C protein of a bacterium and cytochrome C of a cat.
A founder event favours microevolution in the founding population, mainy because
1. Gene flow increases.
2. Mutations are more common in a new environment.
3. A small founding population is subject the extensive sampling error in the
composition of its gene pool.
4. Elimination of harmful alleles from the population.
Which of the following conditions is not needed for natural selection to occurs in a
1. lndividuals must be able to move between populations.
2. Variation must be genetically inherited.
3. Certain variations allow an individual to produce more offspring that survive in the
4. There must be variations in the phenotype of individuals.
Natural selection can be countered by which of the following?
2. Genetic drift
4. All of these
ln a population of Red (dominant) and white flowers the frequency of Red flower is 91% .
What is the frequency of the Red allele.
Divergent evolution is
1. Different sturctures evolving for the same function.
2. Evolution of several structure driven by use and disuse.
3. Same structure developed along different directions due to adaptations to different
4. The process of evolution of different species in a given geographical area starting
from a point.
The most successful events in the evolution of man with
1. Hunting with stone weapons.
2. Used Hides to protect their body and buried their
3. Language skills and self consciousness.
4. Viviparity and protected their unborn young inside the mother's body.
Odd one out from the given statements ?
1. Nature select for fitness.
2. Fitness refers ultimately and only to reproductive fitness.
3. Fitness is based on characteristic whichy are inherited.
4. Fitness refers to overspecialization of certain organs.
Evolution by natural selection would have started.
1. When there would be rapid speciation for multicellular organisms.
2. Due to geographical isolation by continental drifting.
3. When cellular forms of life with differences in metabolic capability originated on
4. When multicellular life migrated from sea to terrestrial condition.
Whenever more individuals acquire peripheral character value at both ends of distribution
curve such type of natural selection is termed as
1. Stabilizing selection
2. Directional selection
3. Balancing selection
4. Disruptive selection
Which of the follwing is not an example of convergent evolution?
1. Eye of octopus and mammal
2. Sweet potato and potato
3. Flippers of penguins and dolphins
4. Mouth parts of different insects
Restricted distribution of pouched mammals in Australia is due to
1. Continental drift
2. Lack of competition from placental mammals
3. Australia got separate from the rest of the world before the evolution of eutherian
4. All of these
Mark the incorrect statement w.r.t. industrial melanism
1. ln a mixed population those that can better adapt, survive and increase in
2. Moths that were able to camouflag themselves, i.e., hide in the background
3. Lichens can be used as industrail population indicators
4. Variant which is not able to adapt, is completely wiped out
The genitalia in insect are developed on lock and key principle and that interspecific
crosses may cause injury or even death of the female is an example of
1. Temporal isolation
2. Gametic isolation
3. Mechanical isolation
4. Behavioural isolation
Select the odd one out
1. Genetic drift operates in small populations
2. Genetic drift can fix some non-adaptive traits in small population
3. Genetic drift increases homozygosity
4. Genetic drift results in adaptations in the population to fit their environment better
Following are the stages during the origin of life w.r.t. mode of nutrition
c. Photoautotrophs (oxygenic)
d. Photoautotrophs (anoxygenic)
Mark the correct sequence
1. b a d c
2. b a c d
3. a b d c
4. a c d b
Which of the following represents a probable order of evolution of preflife components
on Earth ?
1. protobionts before mitosis
2. ozone in the atmosphere followed by a reducing atmosphere
3. amino acids and sugars after the corresponding polymers
4. DNA before RNA
Which of the following options is not correct regarding early atmosphere ?
A. Oxygen was totally absent
B. Atmosphere was reducing
C. Temperature was high
D. Presence of free H molecules
E. Presence of molecules like
1. A, D and E
2. A and D
3. D and E
4. A only
Correctly arrange the steps of evolution:
lll. Formation of coacervates and microspheres
lV. Formation of inorganic moledules
V. Free atoms
Vl. Formation of simple organic molecules (purine, pytimidine, simple sugar, amino
Vll. Formation of complex organic compounds (nucleic acids, proteins, fats,
1. V lV Vl lll l ll Vll lX
2. V lV Vl Vll lll l ll Vll llX
3.V Vl Vll Vlll lll ll l lV lX
4.V lV Vl Vll ll l ll lX Vlll
The theory of special creation has three connotations, except
1. All living orgainsms that we see today were created as such
2. Existing living forms share similarities to varying degree not only among themselves
but also with life forms that existed million year ago
3. The diversity was always the same since creation and will be about the same in future also
4. Earth is about 4000 years old