Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) strains have been used for designing novel -
1. Bioinsecticidal plants
2. Bio-mineralization processes
4. Bio-metallurgical techniques
Haploid culture/Androgenic culture was first developed by
1. Guha and Maheshwari in Datura innoxia.
2. Swaminathan in Datura innoxia.
3. Ramdeo Mishra in Solanum.
4. Venkatraman in Saccharum.
Plants can be made disease resistant through
1. Colchicine treatment
2. X-ray treatment
3. Hormone treatment
4. Breeding with wild relatives
Microbe used for biocontrol of pest butterfly caterpillars is
1. Bacillus thuringiensis.
2. Streptococcus species
3. Trichoderma species
4. Saccharomyces cerevisiae
A biofertilizer is
1. Cyanobacterium Anabaena in cavities of Azolla leaves.
2. Symbiotic association of Azotobacter for fixing atmospheric nitrogen.
Identify the set which has all organisms used in biological control of pests
1. Trichoderma, Nucleopolyhedro virus, Bacillus thuringiensis, Lady Bird (Lady Bug) beetle.
2. Dragon flies, Bacillus thuringiensis, Lady Bird, Aphids.
3. Lady Bird, Penicillium, Baculovirus, Aspergillus.
4. Trichoderma, Aspergillus, Bacillus thuringiensis, Nucleopolyhedro virus.
A plant breeder employ technique of emasculation
1. To cover the flower with a bag
2. To prevent self-pollination
3. To prevent stamen from being contaminated
4. To produce female plant
In wheat, stem sawfly unable to cause destruction of crop due to
1. Low nitrogen and sugar content
2. Hollow stem
3. Solid stem
4. Nectarless flowers
Read the following statement and select the right choice
a. Semi-dwarf varieties, Jaya and Ratna were developed in IRRI, Phillippines
b. Classical plant breeding involves crossing or hybridization of pure lines
c. Saccharum barberi was originally growth in South India
d. Genetic variability is the root of any breeding programme
1. Only a is correct
2. b and d are correct
3. a, b and c are correct
4. b, c and d are correct
Find the correct match w.r.t. crop variety for their disease resistant
Column I Column II
(a) Pusa Komal (i) Tobaccor mosaic virus
(b) Pusa Sadabahar (ii) Black rot
(c) Pusa Shubhra (iii) White rust
(d) Pusa Swarnim (iv) Bacterial Blight
1. a(iv), b(i), c(ii), d(iii)
2. a(iv), b(i), c(iii), d(ii)
3. a(i), b(iv), c(ii), d(iii)
4. a(ii), b(iii), c(iv), d(i)
Which one of the following statement is false in respect of flowering plants?
1. Parthenocarpy can be induced through the application of growth hormones
2. Integuments encircle the ovule except at the tip where a small opening called the germ pore is organized
3. Endosperm development precedes embryo development
4. Apomicts have several advantages in horticulture and agriculture
In a 7 celled and 8 nucleate embryo sac :
1. The polar nuclei are situated below the egg apparatus in central cell
2. Egg apparatus has two synergids and one egg cell at micropylar end
3. Filiform apparatus in synergid direct the pollen tube to enter the ovule
4. Antipodal cells are haploid but have different genetic composition to that of egg cell
How many of above statements are true for statement given in the question ?
To form four fully developed Polygonum type of embryosacs in angiosperms total number of meiosis and mitosis divisions generations required are :-
1. 4, 12
2. 1, 3
3. 4, 4
4. 1, 12
Choose unrelated for embryo development in flowering plants :-
1. Develops at micropyle end of ovule
2. Early stages of embryo development differs in monocots and dicots
3. In most cases zygotes divide first by transverse division
4. Most zygote divide only after certain amount of endosperm is formed
How many of the structures (A to D) in the following diagram are diploid
Which one of the following plant does not show dioecious condition :-
3. Date palm
Virus free plants can be obtained by :-
1. Only apical meristem
2. Only axillary meristem
3. Apical and axillary meristem
4. Embryo culture
Which of the following in not the objective of bio fortification :-
1. Improvement of protein content and quality.
2. Increase oil content & quality
3. Reduction in micro nutrient and mineral content.
4. Improvement of vitamin content.
Megaspore mother cell differentiates from
1. Nucellus in the micropylar region.
2. Nucellus in the chalazal region.
3. Primary parietal cell in chalazal region.
4. Integument cell in micropylar region.
Pollen grains are well-preserved as fossils because of the presence of
In virus-infected plants the meristematic tissue in both apical and axilary buds are free of virus because:
1. the dividing cells are virus resistant
2. meristems have anti viral compounds
3. the cell division of meristems are faster than the rate of viral multiplication
4. virus cannot multiply within meristem cell (s).
While planning for an artificial hybridization programme involving dioecious plants, which of the following steps would not be relevant:
1. Bagging of female flower
2. Dusting of pollen on stigma
4. Collection of pollen
In maize, which of the following leads to resistance to maize stem borers?
1. High aspartic acid and low sugar content.
2. Solid stem and smooth leaves.
3. Nectarless flowers.
4. Solid stem and high sugar contents.
Genetically identical plants produced by micropropagation are called
3. Somatic hybrids
Study the following statements find the incorrect match.
1. Wild relatives are used in plant breeding.
2. Production of single cell protein is useful in reducing environmental pollution.
3. Somaclones are different from source of explant.
4. Maize hybrid have twice amount of amino acid lysine & tryptophan.