If fatty acids were to be respired, they would first be degraded to:
1. Glucose-6 phosphate
4. Alpha ketoglutarate
DNA damage leading to neoplastic transformation can be brought about by ionizing radiations like :
1. UV rays
2. Gamma rays
3. Infrared waves
4. Radio waves
The protozoans that causes malaria in humans are :
The following cell undergoing mitosis, is at :
1. Early prophase
2. Late prophase
3. Transition to metaphase
4. Early metaphase
Consider the following statements:
I. A motor neuron along with the muscle fibres connected to it constitute a motor unit
II.The neurotransmitter released at the neuro-muscular junction is Acetylcholine.
III.Myosin head has ATPase activity
Which of the above statements are true?
1. I and II only
2. I and III only
3. II and III only
4. I, II and III
Consider the following statements
I. Acetylcholine is released at the electric synapse.
II. Electric synapse are faster
III. It is more difficult to regulate an electric synapse w.r.t. a chemical synapse
Which of the above statements are true?
1. I and II only
2. I and III only
3. II and III only
4. I, II and III
Non-membranous nucleoplasmic structures in nucleus are the site for active synthesis of
1. protein synthesis
Which of the following organic compounds is the main constituent of Lecithin?
1. Arachidonic acid
Match the items of Column - I with Column - II :
XX-XO method of
XX-XY method of
ZW-ZZ method of
Select the correct option from the following:
1. (a) - (ii), (b)- (iv), (c)- (i), (d)-(iii)
2. (a) - (i), (b)- (iv), (c)- (ii), (d)-(iii)
3. (a) - (iii), (b)- (iv), (c)- (i), (d)-(ii)
4. (a) - (iv), (b)- (ii), (c)- (i), (d)-(iii)
In a marriage between male with blood group A and female with blood group B, the progeny had either blood group AB or B. What could be the possible genotype of parents?
1. IA i (Male) ; IB IB (Female)
2. IA IA (Male) ; IB IB (Female)
3. IA IA (Male) ; IB i (Female)
4. IA i (Male) ; IB i(Female)
The contrasting characteristics generally in a pair used for identification of animals in Taxonomic Key are referred to as :
All the components of the nodal tissue are autoexcitable. Why does the SA node act as the normal pacemaker ?
1. SA node has the lowest rate of depolarisation
2. SA node is the only component to generate the threshold potential.
3. Only SA node can convey the action potential to the other
4. SA node has the highest rate of depolarisation.
Match the items in Column - I with those in Column - II :
Column - I Column - II
(a) Podocytes (i) Crystallised oxalate
(b) Protonephridia (ii) Annelids
(c) Nephridia (iii) Amphioxus
(d) Renal calculi (iv) Filtration slits
Select the correct option from the following:
1. (a)-(iii), (b )-(iv), (c)-(ii), (d)-(i)
2. (a)-(iii), (b)-(ii), (c)-(iv), (d)-(i)
3. (a)-(iv), (b)-(iii), (c)-(ii), (d)-(i)
4. (a)-(iv), (b)-(ii), (c)-(iii), (d)-(i)
Which scientist experimentally proved that DNA is the sole genetic material in bacteriophage ?
1. Beadle and Tatum
2. Messelson and Stahl
3. Hershey and Chase
4. Jacob and Monod
In which genetic condition, each cell in the affected person, has three sex chromosomes XXY?
2. Klinefelter's Syndrome
4. Turner's Syndrome
The production of gametes by the parents the formation of zygotes, the F1 and F2 plants can be understood using
1. Pie diagram
2. A pyramid diagram
3. Punnet square
4. Wenn diagram
Match the column I with column II.
Column I Column II
(a) Golgi apparatus (i) Synthesis of protein
(b) Lysosomes (ii) Trap waste and excretory products
(c) Vacuoles (iii) Formation of glycoproteins and glycolipids
(d) Ribosomes (iv) Digesting biomolecules
Choose the right match from options given below:
1. (a)-(iii), (b)-(iv), (c)-(ii), (d)-(i)
2. (a)-(iv), (b)-(iii), (c)-(i), (d)-(ii)
3. (a)-(iii), (b)-(ii), (c)-(iv), (d)-(i)
4. (a)-(i), (b)-(ii), (c)-(iv), (d)-(iii)
Crossing over takes place between which chromatids and in which stage of the cell cycle?
1. Non-sister chromatids of non-homologous chromosomes at Zygotene stage of prophase I.
2. Non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes at Pachytene stage of prophase I.
3. Non-sister chromatids of homologous chromosomes at Zygotene stage of prophase I.
4. Non-sister chromatids of non-homologous chromosomes at Pachytene stage of prophase I.
In Hatch and Slack pathway, the primary CO2 acceptor is -
1. Oxaloacetic acid
2. Phosphoglyceric acid
3. Phosphoenol pyruvate
One scientist cultured Cladophora in a suspension of Azotobacter and illuminated the culture by splitting light through a prism. He observed that bacteria accumulated mainly in the region of :
1. Violet and green light
2. Indigo and green light
3. Orange and yellow light
4. Blue and red light
In order to increase the yield of sugarcane crop, which of the following plant growth regulators should be sprayed ?
Coca alkaloid or cocaine is obtained from
1. Papaver somniferum
2. Atropha belladona
3. Erythroxylum coca
Which of the following match is correct?
1. Emphysema : reduction of surface area of alveoli and bronchi
2. Pneumonia : occupational disease with asbestos
3. Silicosis : inflammation of alveoli
4. Asthma : excessive secretion of bronchial mucus
Which of the following substances, if introduced into the bloodstream, would cause coagulation of blood at the site of its introduction?
In a standard ECG which one of the following alphabets is the correct representation of the respective activity of the human heart?
1. P-depolarization of ventricles
2. R-repolarization of ventricles
3. S-start of systole
4. T-end of diastole
Which of the following process of urine formation takes place all along the renal tubule and collecting duct?
1. Ultrafiltration and tubular reabsorption
2. Ultrafiltration and tubular secretion
3. Tubular reabsorption and secretion
4. Anti-current mechanism and reabsorption
Sliding filament theory can be best explained as
1. when myofilaments slide pass each other actin filaments shorten while myosin filament do not shorten
2. actin and myosin filaments shorten and slide pass each other
3. actin and myosin filaments do not shorten but rather slide pass each other
4. when myofilament slide pass each other myosin filament shorten while actin filaments do not shorten
Which of the following regions of the brain is incorrectly paired with its function?
1. Medulla oblongata-homeostatic control
2. Cerebellum-language comprehension
3. Corpus callosum-communication between the left and right cerebral cortices
4. Cerebrum-calculation and contemplation
The blood calcium level is lowered by the deficiency of
4. Both 1. and 3.
Which hormone causes dilation of blood vessels, increased oxygen consumption and gluconeogenesis ?
Which of the following hormones is not a secretion product of human placenta?
4. Human chorionic gonadotropin
If mammalian ovum fails to get fertilised, which one of the following is unlikely?
1. Oestrogen secretion further decreases.
2. Progesterone secretion rapidly declines.
3. Corpus luteum will disintegrate.
4. Primary follicle starts developing
The secretory phase in the human menstrual cycle is also called
1. Luteal phase and lasts for about 13 days.
2. Follicular phase and lasts for about 13 days.
3. Luteal phase and lasts for about 6 days.
4. Follicular phase and lasting for about 6 days.
The difference between spermiogenesis and spermiation is
1. In spermiogenesis spermatozoa from sertoli cells are released into the cavity of seminiferous tubules, while in spermination spermatozoa are formed.
2. In spermiogenesis spermatozoa are formed, while in spermiation spermatids are formed.
3. In spermiogenesis spermatids are formed, while in spermiation spermatozoa are formed
4. In spermiogenesis spermatozoa are formed, while in spermiation spermatozoa are released from sertoli cells into the cavity of seminiferous tuhulels
Gause’s principle of competitive exclusion states that
1. more abundant species will exclude the less abundant species through competition.
2. competition for the same resources excludes species having different food preferences.
3. no two species can occupy the same niche indefinitely for the same limiting resources.
4. larger organisms exclude smaller ones through competition.
Which statement is wrong for Krebs' cycle?
1. There are three points in the cycle where is reduced to NADH +
2. There is one point in the cycle where is reduced to
3. During conversion of succinyl Co-A to succinic acid, a molecule of GTP is synthesised
4. The cycle starts with condensation of acetyl group (acetyl Co-A) with pyruvic acid to yield citric acid
The three boxes in this diagram represent the three major bisynthetic pathways in aerobic respiration. Arrow represent net reactants or products
Arrows numbered 4, 8, 12 can all be
The energy-releasing metabolic process in which substrate is oxidised without an external electron acceptor is called
3. aerobic respiration
Fruit and leaf drop at early stages can be prevented by the application of
4. gibberellic acid
Which of the following is correctly matched?
3. Age pyramid-Biome
4. Parthenium hysterophorus-Threat to biodiversity
Prokaryotic and eukaryotic flagella differ in
1. Type of movement and placement
2. Location and mode of functioning
3. Microtubular structure and function
4. Microtubular organisation and type of movement
What is true about Nereis, scorpion, cockroach and silver fish ?
1. They all possess dorsal heart
2. None of them is aquatic
3. They all belong to the same phylum
4. They all have jointed paired appendages
Which one of the following phyla is correctly matched with its two general characteristics?
1.Echinodermata - pentamerous radial symmetry and mostly internal fertilization
2. Mollusca - normally oviparous and development through a trochophore or velliger larva
3. Arthropoda - body divided into head, thorax and abdomen and respiration by trachea
4. Chordata - notochord at some stage and separate anal and urinary openings to the outside
Excretory pore of Ascaris is present –
1. Behind the mouth
2. On the posterior end
3. On the dorsal side
4. In the middle of body
In which one of the following preparations, you are likely to come across cell junctions frequently?
1. Ciliated epithelium
4. Hyaline cartilage
Which one of the following organisms is correctly matched with its three characteristics?
1. Pea: C3 pathway, Endospermic seed, Vexillary aestivation
2. Tomato: Twisted aestivation, Axile placentation, Berry
3. Onion: Bulb, Imbricate aestivation, Axile placentation
4. Maize : C3 pathway, Closed vascular bundles, Scutellum
How many plants among Indigofera, Sesbania, Salvia, Allium, Aloe, mustard, groundnut, radish, gram and turnip have stamens with different lengths in their flowers?
Which statement is wrong for viruses?
1. All are parasites
2. All of them have helical symmetry
3. They have ability ot synthesize nucleic acids and proteins
4. Antibiotics have no effect on them
Which of the following rRNAs acts as structural RNA as well as ribozyme in bacterial?
1. 5-8s rRNA
2. 5S rRNA
3. 18 S rRNA
4. 23S rRNA
Moss sporophyte does not possess
Pollen chamber present in gymnosperms represents
2. Pollen grain cell where sperms are formed
3. Opening of megagametophyte for passage of pollen tube to egg
4. Cavity in nucellus for resting pollen grains after pollination
During mitosis, endoplasmic reticulum and nucleolus begin to disappear at:
1. Late metaphase
2. Early prophase
3. Late prophase
4. Early metaphase
During which phase(s) of cell cycle, amount of DNA in a cell remains at 4C level if the initial amount is denoted as 2C ?
1. G0 and G1
2. G1 and S
3. Only G2
4. G2 and M
Which one of the following shows isogamy with nonflagellated gametes?
Which one of the following fruits is parthenocarpic?
In angiosperms, microsporogenesis and megasporogenesis:
1. form gametes without further divisions
2. Involve meiosis
3. occur in ovule
4. occur in anther
Proximal end of the filament of stamen is attached to the:
1. Thalamus or petal
Which of the following statements is not correct?
1. Some reptiles have also been reported as pollinators in some plant species. ,
2. Pollen grains of many species can germinate on the stigma of a flower, but only one pollen tube of the same
species grows into the style.
3. Insects that consume pollen or nectar without bringing about pollination are called pollen/ nectar robbers.
4. Pollen germination and pollen tube growth are regulated by chemical components of pollen interacting with
those of the pistil
The ovule of an angiosperm is technically equivalent to
4. megaspore mother cell
Which one of the following cannot be explained on the basis of Mendel’s Law of Dominance
1. Out of one pair of factors one is dominant and the other recessive
2. Alleles do not show any blending and both the characters recover as such in F2 generation
3. Factors occur in pairs
4. The discrete unit controlling a particular character is called a factor
The chromosomes in which centromere is situated close to one end are :
Amino acid sequence in protein synthesis is determined by sequence of
Read the following four statements (A-D):
(A) In transcription, adenosine pairs with uracil.
(B) Regulation of lac operon by repressor is referred to as positive regulation.
(C) The human genome has approximately 50,000 genes.
(D) Haemophilia is a sex-linked recessive disease.
How many of the above statements are right ?
Select the correct option:
Direction of RNA synthesis
Direction of reading of the template DNA strand
5' - 3'
3' - 5'
3' - 5'
5' - 3'
5' - 3'
5' - 3'
3' - 5'
3' - 5'
Which one of the following represents a palindromic sequence in DNA?
1. 5' - GAATTC - 3'
3' - CTTAAG - 5'
2. 5' - CCAATG - 3'
3' - GAATCC - 5'
3. 5' - CATTAG - 3'
3' - GATAAC - 5'
4. 5' - GATACC - 3'
3' - CCTAAG - 5'
Which of the following is not a component of downstream processing?
Read the following four statements (A-D) about certain mistakes in two of them
(A) The first transgenic buffalo, Rosie produced milk which was human alpha-lactal bumin enriched.
(B) Restriction enzymes are used in isolation of DNA from other macro-molecules.
(C) Downstream processing is one of the steps of rDNA technology.
(D) Disarmed pathogen vectors are also used in transfer of r-DNA into the host.
Which are the two statements having mistakes?
1. Statement (B) and (C)
2. Statement (C) and (D)
3. Statement (A) and (C)
4. Statement (A) and (B)
Which enzyme/s will be produced in a cell in which there is a nonsense mutation in the lac Y gene?
1. Lactose permease
3. Lactose permease and transacetylase
Consider the given facts w.r.t biosphere reserves and find the correct one
a. 14 in India
b. Tribal settlements are allowed in core zone
c. Meant to conserve a specific animal species
d. High species diversity with high degree of habitat loss
1. Only (a)
2. Both (a) & (b)
3. Both (a) & (d)
4. All except (c)
Select the incorrect pair w.r.t. recent extinctions
1. Dodo - Mauritius
2. Quagga - Africa
3. Thylacine - Australia
4. Steller's Sea Cow - Indonesia
Biomes with very sparse vegetation, high rate of evapotranspiration and albedo are
1. Tropical rain forests
2. Tropical deciduous forest
3. Coastal biomes
4. Desert biomes
Select the incorrect statement w.r.t. fungi
1. Mycelium is consist of long slender thread like structures called hyphae
2. Aseptate and multinucleate hyphae is called coenocytic hyphae
3. Dolipore septum is characteristic of class ascomycetes.
4. The cell wall is composed of chitin and polysaccharides
Which of the following statement is correct for Deuteromycetes?
1. A large number of them are decomposers of litter, but do not help in mineral cycling
2. Mycelium is septate and branched
3. They may have three names, one for vegetative stage and two for asexual stage
4. Common asexual spore is oidia
Which of the following is not a secondary metabolite?
Which of the following statements is not true for cellulose?
1. Cellulose is the most abundant organic compound in the biosphere
2. It is a branched polymer of -glucose
3. The artificial fibre rayon is prepared from cellulose
4. Carboxymethyl cellulose is added to ice-cream, cosmetics and medicines to emulsify and give a smooth texture
Choose the correct option for the given below figures.
1. Peritrichous bacteria
2. They do not contain both RNA and DNA
3. Presence of non-cellulosic cell wall
4. Presence of cyclosis
Besides the feedback control by other hormones and metabolites, secretions of some hormones are controlled by nerves also, Example is
1. Maintenance of level of thyroxine in our body
2. Maintenance of blood sugar homeostasis
3. Secretion of epinephrine by the adrenal medulla
4. Secretion of pituitary gonadotropins
Which of the following hormone binds with membrane-bound receptors?
In case of decrease in carbon dioxide concentration of blood, the Hb- saturation curve will shift towards
1. Right side
2. Left side
3. No change in the position of saturation curve
4. Fist right and then left
Which contraceptive method is highly effective but has very poor reversibility?
Prevention of transmission of STDs is possible by
1. Avoiding sex with unknown persons/multiple persons
2. Using condoms during coitus
3. Consulting a qualified doctor for early detection and getting complete treatment if diagnosed with disease
4. All of these
The Indian government has set up an organization, ____________ which will make decisions regarding the validity of GM research and the safety of introducing GM-organisms for public use
2. Indian Patents Authority
3. Ministry of Forestry
4. Intellectual Properties Authority
1. Provides resistance in plants like Bt cotton, Bt corn, rice, etc. against abiotic stresses
2. Increases efficiency of Bt toxin in alkaline medium
3. Possesses cry gene that confers the ability to synthesize an inactive crystalline protein
4. Creates pores in the foregut of insects
if 8 individuals in a laboratory population of 40 fruit flies died during a specified time interval, say two weeks, the death rate in the population during this period is
Veins of leaf in addition to acting as channels of transport of water, minerals and food materials also
1. Determine extent of incision of lamina
2. Provide rigidity to the leaf blade
3. Hold the leaf blade to light
4. Flutter the leaf in wind thus, helping in cooling of leaf and bringing fresh air.
behavioural means to cope environmental variations include
1 secretion of solid urine by a kangaroo rat
2 increase in red blood cell production at high altitude
3 desert lizard basks in the sunlight when temperature drops below the comfort zone
4 leaves reduced to spines in opuntia
Chloroplast differs from mitochondria in
1. Having circular DNA and 70S ribosomes
2. Phase of division or duplication during cell cycle
3. Having porins in outer membrane
4. Having enzymes for carbohydrate synthesis in stroma
Read the following four statements (a-d), find out the incorrect option w.r.t. lactic acid bacteria
a. In our stomach, they play beneficial role by checking disease causing microbes.
b. LAB produce acids that coagulate and completely digest the milk proteins.
c. Improves the nutritional quality by increasing the amount of riboflavin.
d. Require suitable temperature for their multiplication.
1. a & b
2. a & c
3. b & c
4. b & d
Alexander Fleming accidently discovered antibiotic penicillin from a mould, but he was working on
Find out which one of the following statement is not correct with respect to biogas plant?
1. It has a floating cover which keeps on rising as gas is produced
2. It consists of a 10-15 feet deep tank in which bio-wastes are collected and a slurry of dung is fed
3. Main gases produced are methane, isobutane and propane
4. Spent slurry may be used as fertiliser
Which is optically active?
1. Isobutyric acid
2. beta-chloropropionic acid
3. Propionic acid
4. alpha-chloropropionic acid
A solution containing 3.3 g of a substance in 125 g of benzene (b.p. 80°C) boils at 80.66°C. If Kb for one litre of benzene is 3.28°C, the molecular weight of the substance shall be
The EAN of metal atoms in respectively are :
1. 34, 35
2. 34, 36
3. 36, 36
4. 36, 35
The rate constant of a particular reaction has the dimensions of a frequency. What is the order of the reaction ?
The correct calculate value for for
From following arbitrary value
1. 1950 KJ mol-1
2. 1150 KJ mol-1
3. 2300 KJ mol-1
4. None of these
From the following data, calculate the enthalpy change for the combustion of cyclopropane at 298 K. The enthalpy of formation of CO2(g), H2O(l) and propene (g) are -393.5, -285.8 and 20.42 kJ mol-1 respectively. The enthalpy of isomerisation of cyclopropane to propene is -33.0 kJ mol-1.
1. -1021.32 kJ mol-1
2. -2091.32 kJ mol-1
3. -5021.32 kJ mol-1
4. -3141.32 kJ mol-1
. The final product is:
The quantity that does not change for a sample of a gas in a sealed tight container when it is cooled from at constant volume is
1. Average energy of the molecule
2. Pressure of the gas
3. Density of the gas
4. Average speed of the molecules
The correct order of the ability of the leaving group is
A bottle of solution contains 70% (w/w) acid. If the density of the solution is 1.54 g , the volume of the solution required to prepare 1 L of 1 N solution is
2. 45 mL
3. 30 mL
4. 23 mL
Calculate the wavelength of the spectral line obtained in spectrum of when the transition takes place between levels whose sum is 4 and difference is 2.
1. 11.4 x cm
2. 1.14 x cm
3. 0.114 x cm
4. 1.14 x cm
In a subshell, the number of radial nodes is two times of the number of angular nodes then minimum possible value of the principal quantum number (n) is [angular nodes are non-zero)
The hybridizations of respectively, are
Choose the correct statement regarding bonding in FeCl3 at high temperature?
(I) It contains 2c-2e- bond
(II) It contains 3c-2e- bond
(III) It contains co-ordinate bond
1. (I), (II)
2. (I), (III)
3. (II), (III)
4. (I), (II) & (III)
The lanthanide compound which is used as a most powerful liquid laser after dissolving in selenium oxychoride is
1. Cerium oxide
2. Neodymium oxide
3. Promethium sulphate
4. Cerium sulphate
The standard reduction potential for is 0.34 V. The reduction potential at pH =14 for the above couple is
1. -0.22 V
2. +0.22 V
3. -0.34 V
4. +0.34 V
When calcium carbide is treated with heavy water, the product formed is
In which of the following ion/molecule, the 'S' atom does not assume hybridization?
The chemical formula of 'laughing gas' is
A colloid of Agl is formed mixing with an excess of Kl. Which of the given electrolyte will have highest coagulation value for it?
In which series are the species listed in order of increasing size?
1. N, O, F
2. Na, Mg, K
Which element from multiple bonds with itself and with carbon and oxygen?
1. P, As
2. N, As
3. N, P
The expression which gives th life l order reaction is :-
The charge of A sol is due to the absorbed
Suppose following reaction :-
A and B are isomeric compound. These two can be diffrentiated easily by
The main product of following reaction will be :-
Out of Be, Mg, Ca, Sr and Ba total number of metal whose nitrates are decomposed according to following reaction :
The Brown ring test of is due to formation of complex :-
The heat of solution of BaCl.2HO(s) and anhydrous BaCl(s) are 8.8 kJ mol and –20.62 kJ mol respectively then heat of hydration of BaCl(s) will be:-
1. –12.25 kJ mol
2. –29.4 kJ mol
3. –11.37 kJ mol
4. +12.25 kJ mol
If the molar concentration of SnCl is 1.5 × 10 mol L–1, the concentration of chloride ions is :-
1. 3.0 × 10
2. 6.0 × 10
3. 0.3 × 10
4. 0.6 × 10
An element occurring in the bcc structure has unit cells. The total number of atoms of the element in these cells will be:-
Total vapour pressure of mixture of 1 mol X and 2 mol Y is 240 torr. In this case:-
1. There is a negative deviation from Raoult's law
2. There is a positive deviation from Raoult's law
3. There is no deviation from Raoult's law
4. Can not be decided
The pair of isochoric among the transformation of state is:
1. K to L and L to M
2. L to M and N to K
3. L to M and M to N
4. M to N and N to K
The half-life of 2 sample are 0.1 and 0.4 seconds respectively. Their concentrations are 200 and 50 respectively. What is the order of the reaction:-
Among the following, identify the species with an atom in +6 oxidation state
A 200 mL flask having oxygen at 220 mm and a 300 mL flask having nitrogen at 100 mm are connected in such a way that may combine in their volumes if temperature is kept constant. Find the total pressure of the gaseous mixture.
1. 158 mm
2. 138 mm
3. 148 mm
4. 168 mm
Specific volume of cylindrical virus particle is Whose radius and length are 7 Å and 10 Å respectively. If find the molecular weight of virus
Arrange the following groups in order of decreasing - I (inductive) effects:
Tautomerism is exhibited by
1. 1 and 2
2. 1, 3 and 4
3. 1, 2 and 4
4. 1, 2, 3 and 4
Which of the following represents a metastable system?
1. an unsaturated solution
2. a dilute solution
3. a saturated solution
4. a supersaturated solution
The formula of exhausted permutit is
In which of the following pairs the two species are not
1. PF and BrF
2. PCl + and SiCl
3. CO and NO
4. AIF and SF
Towards electrophilic substitution, the most reactive will be
3. aniline hydrochloric
The outermost electronic configuration of the most electronegative element is
Calculate the Q-value of the nuclear reaction:
The following data are given:
m(6C12) = 12.000000 u
m(10Ne20) = 19.992439 u
m(2He4) = 4.002603 u
1. 4.16 MeV
2. 5.25 MeV
3. 3.91 MeV
4. 4.65 MeV
A body of mass 2 kg moving with a velocity ms collides with another body of mass 3 kg moving with a velocity ms . If they stick together, the velocity in ms of the composite body is :
The angle of minimum deviation for a prism is and the angle of the prism is . The angle of incidence in this case will be -
A ball is thrown vertically upwards. Then the velocity-time (v-t) graph will be:
A child is standing on the edge of a merry-go-round that has the shape of a disk as shown in the figure. The mass of the child is 40 kilograms. The merry-go-round has a mass of 200 kilograms and a radius of 2.5 meters, and it is rotating with an angular velocity of radians per second. The child then walks slowly towards the center of the merry-go-round. When the child reaches the center, what is the angular velocity of the disc? (The size of the child can be neglected.)
1. 2.0 rad/s
2. 2.2 rad/s
3. 2.4 rad/s
4. 2.8 rad/s
An ideal gas is taken through the process shown in the figure:
1. In process AB, work done by the system is positive.
2. In process AB, heat is rejected out of the system.
3. In process AB, internal energy increases.
4. In process AB, internal energy decreases and in process BC internal energy increases.
The kinetic energy of a photoelectron emitted on shining light of wavelength m on a metal surface of work function 0.1 eV is-
1. 0.01 eV
2. 0.02 eV
3. 1 eV
4. 0.1 eV
In the given graph of the photoelectric experiment, the maximum energy of emitted photoelectron will be:
1. 2 eV
2. 0 eV
3. 4 eV
The time period of a simple pendulum in a stationary lift is T. If the lift moves upwards with an acceleration g, then the new time period will be:
4. 0.707 T
For a dipole, q = 2 x 10–6 C and d = 0.01 m, if E = 5 x 105 N/C, then the maximum torque for this dipole is:-
Two heating coils, one of fine wire and the other of thick wire of the same material and of the same length are connected in series and in parallel. Which of the following statements is correct?
1. In series, fine wire liberates more energy while in the parallel thick wire will liberate more energy
2. In series, fine wire liberates less energy while in the parallel thick wire will liberate more energy
3. Both will liberate equally
4. In series, the thick wire will liberate more energy while in parallel it will liberate less energy
An ammeter reads up to 1 ampere. Its internal resistance is 0.81 ohm. To increase the range to 10 A, the value of the required shunt is:-
In the circuit diagram shown in figure, R = 10 , L = 5H, E = 20V and i = 2A. This current is decreasing at a rate of 1.0 A/s. at this instant will be:-
When without a change in temperature, a gas is forced in a smaller volume, its pressure increases because its molecules:-
1. strike the unit area of the container wall more often.
2. strike the unit area of the container wall at a higher speed.
3. strike the unit area of the container wall with greater momentum.
4. have more energy.
The potential energy of a satellite having mass m and rotating at a height of 6.4 ×
m from the earth surface is:-
If the same amount of heat is supplied to two spheres of the same material having the same radius (one is hollow and the other is solid), then:-
1. the expansion in hollow is greater than the solid
2. the expansion in hollow is the same as that in solid
3. the expansion in hollow is lesser than the solid
4. the temperature of both must be the same as each other
The dimension of is :-
Identify the unit vector in the following.
Two objects of masses m and m fall from the heights h and h respectively. The ratio of the magnitude of their momenta when they hit the ground is:-
If a particle executes uniform circular motion in the XY-plane in the clockwise direction, then the angular velocity is in
1. +y direction
2. +z direction
An object of mass m held against a vertical wall by applying horizontal force F as shown in the figure. The minimum value of the force F is:
1. Less than mg
2. Equal to mg
3. Greater than mg
4. Cannot determine
A uniform force of () N acts on a particle of mass 1 kg. The particle displaces from position ( ) m to () m. The work done by the force on the particle is:
1. 9 J
2. 6 J
3. 10 J
4. 12 J
The centre of mass of a system of particles does not depend upon,
1. position of particles
2. relative distance between particles
3. masses of particles
4. force acting on the particle
A rope is wound around a hollow cylinder of mass 3 kg and radius 40 cm. What is the angular acceleration of the cylinder if the rope is pulled with a force 30 N?
1. 0.25 rad s
2. 25 rad s
3. 5 m s
4. 25 m s.
Consider two wires X and Y. The radius of wire X is 3 times the radius of Y. If they are stretched by the same load, then the stress on Y is
1. equal to that on X
2. thrice that on X
3. nine times that on X
4. Half that on X
A small sphere of radius 2 cm falls from rest in a viscous liquid. Heat is produced due to viscous force. The rate of production of heat when the sphere attains its terminal velocity is proportional to-
With an increase in temperature, the viscosity of liquid and gas, respectively will:
1. increase and increase
2. increase and decrease
3. decrease and increase
4. decrease and decrease
When a cycle tyre suddenly bursts, the air inside the tyre expands. This process is:
In a simple harmonic oscillation, the graph of acceleration against displacement for one complete oscillation will be
1. an ellipse
2. a circle
3. a parabola
4. a straight line
A student tunes his guitar by striking a 120 Hertz with a tuning fork, and simultaneously plays the 4 string on his guitar. By keen observation, he hears the amplitude of the combined sound oscillating thrice per second. Which of the following frequencies is the most likely the frequency of the 4 string on his guitar?.
A transverse wave moves from a medium A to a medium B. In medium A, the velocity of the transverse wave is 500 ms and the wavelength is 5 m. The frequency and the wavelength of the wave in medium B when its velocity is 600 ms, respectively are
1. 120 Hz and 5 m
2. 100 Hz and 5 m
3. 120 Hz and 6 m
4. 100 Hz and 6 m
Rank the electrostatic potential energies for the given system of charges in increasing order.
1. 1 = 4 < 2 < 3
2. 2 = 4 < 3 < 1
3. 2 = 3 < 1 < 4
4. 3 < 1 < 2 < 4
A thin conducting spherical shell of radius R has a charge Q which is uniformly distributed on its surface. The correct plot for electrostatic potential due to this spherical shell is:
The magnetic field at the centre O of the following current loop is:
An electron moves in a straight line inside a charged parallel plate capacitor of uniform charge density σ. The time taken by the electron to cross length l in parallel plate capacitor undeflected when the plates of the capacitor are kept under a constant magnetic field of induction is:
The vertical component of Earth’s magnetic field at a place is equal to the horizontal component. What is the value of the angle of dip at this place?
The flux linked with a coil at any instant t is given by The induced emf at t = 3 s is
1. −190 V
2. −10 V
3. 10 V
4. 190 V
In a transformer, the number of turns in the primary and the secondary are 410 and 1230 respectively. If the current in the primary is 6A, then that in the secondary coil is:
1. 2 A
2. 18 A
3. 12 A
4. 1 A
If the amplitude of the magnetic field is 3 × 10 T, then the amplitude of the electric field for an electromagnetic wave is:
1. 100 V m
2. 300 V m
3. 600 V m
4. 900 V m
For light incident from air on a slab of refractive index 2, the maximum possible angle of refraction is:
In Young’s double-slit experiment, the slit separation is doubled. To maintain the same fringe spacing on the screen, the screen-to-slit distance D must be changed to,
In a hydrogen atom, the electron revolving in the fourth orbit has angular momentum equal to:
A forward-biased diode is treated as:
1. An open switch with infinite resistance
2. A closed switch with a voltage drop of 0 V
3. A closed switch in series with a battery voltage of 0.7 V
4. A closed switch in series with small resistance and a battery
If a half-wave rectified voltage is fed to a load resistor, for which part of the cycle, the load current will flow?
If the input to the NOT gate is A, its output is: