India was amongs the first countries in the world to initiate action plans and programmes at national level to attain reproduciton health. The programmes called as 'family planning' were initiated in __________ year in India.
According to 2001 census, the population growth rate was
Among the following methods, which one has the highest failure rate?
(1) Diaphragm with spermicide
(3) Intrauterine device
(4) Rhythm method
Which of the following is not a natural method of contraception?
(1) Periodic abstinence
(2) Withdrawal method
(3) Lactational amenorrhoea
Which of the following is an incorrect statement for periodic abstinence?
(1) The couple should abstain from coitus from day 10 to 17 of the menstrual cycle when ovulation could be expected.
(2) day of the cycle is fertile period, when the chances of fertilisation are high
(3) This prevents the chances of union of male and female gametes
(4) In this method, the ovum and sperms are prevented from physically meeting with the help of barriers
Lactational amenorrhoea, is a natural way of birth spacing. It is due to the high level of
(1) FSH and LH hormones
Which of the following statement is / are correct about diaphragms, cervical caps and vaults?
(A) Barrier methods of contraception
(B) Cover the cervix during coitus
(C) Protect the user from contracting STDs
(D) They are reusable
(1) A & B only
(2) A, B & C
(3) A, B & D
(4) A, B, C & D
The diaphragm is a rubber dome shaped structure and stops the sperms from entering into
(4) Both (1) & (2)
Use of spermicidal creams, jellies and foams along with diaphragms, cervical caps and vaults leads to
(1) Increased contraceptive efficiency
(2) Prevention of ovulation
(3) Prevention of implantation
(4) Increased sexual desire and drive
Which of the following hormone/s is/are maintained at high level during hormonal method of birth control?
(4)Both (1) & (2)
Which one of the following is the most widely used method of contraception by females in India?
(1) Oral contraceptive pills
Which of the following is hormone releasing IUD?
(3) Multiload 375
'Norplant' is the new form of birth control and it
(1) Allows ovulation but doesn't allow fertilization
(2) Makes the cervical mucus thin making sperm entry into the uterus difficult
(3) Has progestin as the active ingredient
(4) Is effective for a maximum of one year
Which of the following sexually transmitted diseases is caused by a protozoan?
The latest technique to produce a child is GIFT. The full form is
(1) Gametic internal fertilization and transfer
(2) Gametic intra fallopian transfer
(3) Gametic inter fallopian transfer
(4) General internal fallopian transfer
All of the following statements about ZIFT are correct, but one is wrong. Which one is wrong?
(1) It is zygote intra fallopian transfer
(2) Zygote is transferred into the fallopian tube after IVF
(3) Early embryos upto 8 blastomeres can also be transferred into the fallopian tubes
(4) Embryos with more than 8 blastomeres are also transferred into the fallopian tubes
Which of the following can be taken as characteristic demographic features of the developing countries?
(a) High fertility rate
(b) rapidly rising mortality rate
(c) Very young age distribution
(d) Rapid population growth
(e) Rapidly falling mortality rate
(f) very old age distribution
(1) (a), (b), (c), (d)
(2) (a), (c), (d), (e)
(3) (a), (b), (c), (e)
(4) (a), (b), (d), (e)
In India, population crossed one billion mark in May 2000. The probable reasons for this are, decline in
(A) Maternal mortality rate (MMR)
(B) Infant mortality rate (IMR)
(C) Number of people in reproduction age
(D) Death rate
(1) A & B only
(2) A, B & C
(3) A, B & D
(4) A, B, C & D
Which of the following is a wrong match between the type of contraception and its function?
Contraceptive device Function
(1) Contraceptive pills - Inhibit ovulation
(2) Sterilisation - Inhibit gamete formation
(3) IUDs - Inhibit implantation
(4) Natural methods - Avoid chances of ovum and sperm meeting
Which of the following is copper releasing IUD?
(1) Lippes loop
(2) Multiload 375
What is the function of copper ions in copper releasing IUDs?
(1) They increase phagocytosis of sperm within the uterus
(2) They suppress sperm motility and the fertilising capacity of sperms
(3) They make the uterus unsuitable for implantation
(4) They inhibit ovulation
Which of the following graphs is the correct representation of the level of progesterone in a female who has been using Mala-D as a method of birth control.
Which of the following cells are infected in a person suffering from AIDS?
(1) receptor cells
(2) receptor cells
(3) Killer T cells
(4) Germ cells
In a growing population of a country,
(1) Pre-reproductive individuals are more than the reproductive individuals.
(2) Reproducitve individuals are less than the post-reproductive individuals.
(3) Pre-reproductive individuals are less than the reproductive individuals.
(4) Reproduction and pre-reproductive individuals are equal in number.
The contraceptive 'SAHELI'
(1) Blocks estrogen receptors in the uterus, preventing eggs from getting implanted.
(2) Increases the concentration of estrogen and prevents ovulation in females.
(3) Is a post-coital contraceptive.
(4) Is an IUD.
In case of a couple where the male is having a very low sperm count, which technique will be suitable for fertilisation?
(1) Intrauterine transfer
(2) Gamete intracytoplasmic fallopian transfer
(3) Artificial Insemination
(4) Intracytoplasmic sperm injection
Embryo with more than 16 blastomeres formed due to in-vitro fertilization is transferred into
(2) Fallopian tube
Tubectomy is a method of sterilization in which
(1) Small part of the fallopian tube is removed or tied up
(2) Ovaries are removed surgically
(3) Small part of vas deferens is removed or tied up
(4) Uterus is removed surgically
The Test-tube Baby Programme embryos which one of the following techniques?
1. Zygote intra fallopian transfer (ZIFT)
2. Intra uterine insemination (IUI)
3. Intra cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)
4. Gamete intra fallopian transfer (GIFT)
Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) is considered safe up to how many weeks of pregnancy
(1) Six weeks
(2) Eight weeks
(3) Twelve weeks
(4) Eighteen weeks
Given below are four methods (A-D) and their models of action (a-d) in achieving contraception. Select their correct matching from the four options that follow
Method Mode of Action
(A) The pill (a) Prevents sperms reaching cervix
(B) Condom (b) Prevents implantation
(C) Vasectomy (c) Prevents ovulation
(D) Copper T (d) Semen contains no sperms
(1) A-(b), B-(c), C-(a), D-(d)
(2) A-(c), B-(a), C-(d), D-(b)
(3) A-(d), B-(a), C-(b), D-(c)
(4) A-(c), B-(d), C-(a), D-(b)
Consider the statements given below regarding contraception and answer as directed thereafter
(a) Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) during first trimester is generally safe
(b) Generally chances of conception are nil until mother breast-feeds the infant upto two years
(c) Intrauterine devices like copper-T are effective contraceptives
(d) Contraception pills may be taken upto one week after coitus to prevent conception
Which two of the above statements are correct?
(1) a, b
(2) b, c
(3) c, d
(4) a, c
The stage transferred into the uterus after induced fertilization of ova in the laboratory is
(2) Embryo at 4 blastomere stage
(3) Embryo at 2 blastomere stage
The age of pyramid with broad base indicates
(1) High percentage of young individuals
(2) Low percentage of young individuals
(3) High percentage of old individuals
(4) Low percentage of old individuals
Tablets to prevent female conception contain
(4) Both (2) & (3)
Which is showing accurate pairing ?
(1) Syphilis - Treponema pallidum
(2) AIDS - Bacillus anthracis
(3) Gonorrhoea - Leishmania donovani
(4) Typhoid - Mycrobacterium leprae
What is the function of non-medicated IUD?
(1) To inhibit ovulation
(2) To inhibit fertilization
(3) To inhibit implantation of blastocyst
(4) To inhibit gametogenesis
What is the work of progesterone which is present in oral contraceptive pills?
(1) To inhibit ovulation
(2) To check oogenesis
(3) To check entry of sperms into cervix and to make them inactive
(4) To check sexual behaviour