The fragrance of flowers is due to the presence of some steam volatile organic compounds called essential oils. These are generally insoluble in water at room temperature but are miscible with water vapor in the vapor phase. A suitable method for the extraction of these oils from the flowers is
3. Distillation under pressure
4. Steam distillation
Match Column I with Column II.
|Column I||Column II|
|A. Dumas method||1. AgNO3|
|B. Kjeldahl’s method||2. Silica gel|
|C. Carius method||3. Nitrogen gel|
|D. Chromatography||4. Ammonium sulphate|
Assertion: Sulphur present in an organic compound can be estimated quantitatively by the Carius method.
Reason: Sulphur is separated easily from other atoms in the molecule and gets precipitated as a light yellow solid.
1. Both assertion and reason are true and the reason is the correct explanation of assertion.
2. Both assertion and reason are true and the reason is not the correct explanation of assertion.
3. Assertion is true but the reason is false.
4. Assertion is false but the reason is true.