Increased asthmatic attacks in certain seasons are related to:
1. hot and humid environment
2. eating fruits preserved in tin containers
3. inhalation of seasonal pollen
4. low temperature
The 'blue baby' syndrome results from:
1. excess of chloride
3. excess of dissolved oxygen
4. excess of TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)
The majority of carbon dioxide produced by our body cells is transported to the lungs :
1. dissolved in the blood
2. as bicarbonates
3. as carbonates
4. attached to haemoglobin
Tidal Volume and Expiratory Reserve Volume of an athlete is 500 mL and 1000 mL respectively. What will be his Expiratory Capacity if the Residual Volume is 1200 mL?
1. 2700 mL
2. 1500 mL
3. 1700 mL
4. 2200 mL
Due to increasing air-borne allergens and pollutants, many people in urban areas are suffering from respiratory disorder causing wheezing due to:
1. reduction in the secretion of surfactants by pneumocytes
2. benign growth on mucous lining of nasal cavity
3. inflammation of bronchi and bronchioles
4. proliferation of fibrous tissues and damage of the alveolar walls
The efficiency of a respiratory system would be increased by all the following except:
1. increase the surface area available for diffusion of gases
2. decrease the distance over which the gases must diffuse
3. increase the concentration differences of gases inside and outside the system
4. dry the system out so the gases do not have to diffuse through water
How many of the statements given below are correct?
I. During inspiration the diaphragm moves upward while the thorax expands and moves outward.
II. The anatomical dead space represents the air that is trapped in the alveoli and is around 150mL.
III. Decreasing blood oxygen and increasing carbon dioxide cause the major increases seen in breathing rate during strenuous exercise.
IV. Oxygen dissociates faster from hemoglobin during exercise.
V. Increased pH shifts oxyHb-dissociation curve to the right.
“Binding of oxygen to hemoglobin makes hemoglobin a stronger acid” forms the physiological basis of:
1. Herring-Breur Reflex
2. Bohr effect
3. Haldane effect
An increase from pH 7.2 to pH 7.4 around hemoglobin causes:
1. hemoglobin to release all bound oxygen molecules.
2. an increase in the affinity of hemoglobin to bind oxygen molecules.
3. hemoglobin to denature.
4. an increase in the binding of H+ by hemoglobin.
What is true about RBCs in humans?
1. they carry about 20-25 per cent of
2. They transport 99.5 per cent of
3. They transport about 80 per cent oxygen only and the rest 20 per cent of it is transported in dissolved state in blood plasma
4. They do not carry at all